Re-greasing a freehub

drcarlos

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I've got a suntour freehub that I bought back to life by flushing out the old grease and spraying in some new lube.
However this lube that goes on like GT-85 by dries to a more sticky consistency is too sticky and the free-wheel although use-able is now too sluggish. So I need o re-flush it but I need something to re-lube it after the flush. It needs to be spray applied and go on like GT-85 but dry to a thin grease like consistency.
Anyone got any recommendations?

Cheers,

Carl.

what about soaking the freehub (immersing it completely) in something?

Trying to think what I have used in the past.... can't remember now...

I have used motorbike chain lube spray before, that worked rather well, a bit like a spray grease.

I have a freehub that, after a really though washing, maked a lot of noise, I could describe it till I just tried!
Anyway. If I freewheel down road hills you can see car drivers stopping to see what the noise is!
I respoked the wheel a month or so ago, well replaced 16 spokes, I had forgoten about the freehub.
I flushed it through with diesel then flushed it through with synthetic motor oil, I must have done 500 miles
on it since and it's still lovely and quiet.
I found an odd bit of nylon and I used it with a cassette threaded sleeve and an O ring to block the axle hole
then I flushed the stuff through with a squirty oil can - there is a hole in the front of the nylon. I would have used WD40 for the
flushing, it would dewater and clean, but I don't have any[in a can] and I have jerry cans of fuel removed from cars when people
have filled them wrongly, it seemed a reasonable thing to use. I used sythetic motor oil[again I have cans of it], I thought if it got noisy again soon, it wants thicker oil or redoing more often. The only thing I wondered about, not having seen a freehub off, is if I would possibly push the seal off?

Attachments

• freehub-thingie.jpg
    freehub-thingie.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 410
i have heard tell of people warming grease until it liquifies, then immersing or applying it as liquid and as it cools it solidifies .

motorcylcle chain oil - has grease disolved in solvent so will flow into gaps and stay out once solvent evaoprates. DIY version is to disolve LM grease in petrol, the petrol wil evaoprate leavign the grease behnd.

Did a cheap freehub a few months back, i broke it by washing the bike in a river :D

Anyway, i removed the axle/cup/cones & cassette, filled an aerosol cap with motorbike suspension oil (its all i had spare) then simply balanced the wheel on the cap with the freehub imersed in the oil, i left it two days as i forgot about it. :LOL:

Anyway, when i removed it, it oozed a little oil, but i simply refitted it with new cup/cones/bearings and it has been spot on ever since, i took a freehub apart once and regreased the bearings by hand, cant be bothered to do that again.

Going to flush it this afternoon and I have some chain oil, not pedros but something very similar so will re-lube it with that.

Carl.

Latest posts

Back