Carrera HELLCAT Restoration/re-build

19gaz81

Retro Newbie
Hi all,

Im new to this site, have been off the bike scene for about ten years and have decided its high time to get my ass back into gear. have just bought an old knackered Carrera Hellcat off of ebay for 36 quid. all parts etc are as standard and its just missing grips and rear tyre. HOWEVER the bike looks like it has NEVER received a service and pretty much nothing is in working order, brakes completely seized etc and everything covered in a decades worth of crud.

my plan is to strip everything down, powder coat frame and forks and repair or replace components. so i thought it might be interesting to document the rebuild. i will post new pics at every stage if people are interested.

feel free to get involved and make suggestions

parts list

front suspension - SR Suntour MG-91 magnesium
Rear suspension - RST 22
Crank - SR Suntour P550
front derailleur - Shimano STX RC
rear derailleur - shimano Acera
shift leavers - Deore
Brakes - Louise Magura hrdraulic disks
Rims - Ritchey Rock Comp/OCR Comp

Frame is getting painted white along with forks unless i change them

any suggestions for rear shock upgrades welcome!

Watch this space :)

Attachments

• hellcat ebay.JPG
    hellcat ebay.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 2,849
Im watching ebay for some pikes but there are none at the min. already checked out the Race Face stems, going to get their XC seat post aswell. want all components to be black.

Is this for real? you want to put RS Pikes on that frame? :shock:

And Mr James just happens to have some for sale? :roll:

what's going on here?

Jay is my mate. he didnt mention selling any pikes he's trying to flog me his 3-piece. do you not think the pikes are a good idea? or do you think whole project is a waste of time?

My mistake, he did mention looking for some on eBay.
What year is the Hellcat frame? must be post-2000? is it a Merida built frame, if it is then it should be half-way decent.
I'd definately look at replacing the suspension, front & rear, what you go for though will depend on whether you see the bike as an XC or more AM biased.

Welcome to retrobike by the way, where your bank balance gets smaller as your bike collection gets bigger ;-)

Unless you have some love for that bike, pikes and a rear shock plus bushes will costs you £150-200. For that price better off buying an old specialized fsr or old Marin full Susser which will work a lot better.

i remember looking at these frames when new, big and chunky dh looking. i'd have bought that happily!!!
welcome to retrobikes......hell, people on here even love saracens!! ;)

Not knocking it, just putting it in perspective. Unlikely to get your money back if that's important to you.

Back