Riser Bars or flat bars?

Do what you like and sod what anyone says :)
Got risers on two and flatbar on one.
I think flat bars are being used more again on newer bikes.

my rule is cross country hard tail with circa 100-120mm front suspension fork = flat bars
full suspension = riser bars.

Kona-Ian":3afb0806 said:
I think flat bars are being used more again on newer bikes.

That's because modern bikes have very long forks and so are very high at the front. I see them as risers without the rise because they are still wide and have some upsweep towards the ends, like risers. Proper flat bars are 580mm max ;)

Just my 10 pence worth, I think risers look on on bikes with a high saddle, if the seat pin is lower in the frame the riser bars give it a playbike look, wheras a lanky riders 18" bike with a lot of exposed seatpin w/risers just looks odd to me.

Ditto the comments above about travel & full sus etc.

If in doubt, flat bars.

Similar here: I go with the vintage / aesthetics of the bike

I personally don't like to see risers on what ought to be a vintage hardcore XC machine

Up to around '88 risers are cool - So to make a comfy old bike with a Brooks saddle and riser bars I've got a suitable ('84) frame

Interesting that flats are coming back into fashion... DH made risers seemingly almost universal on new MTBs for a while

And the mega, mega high seatpost look is just comical

Flat bars are ok but limited in width if using 25.4.. I like wide low rise bars for general trail use :D

Back