Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:31 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:10 pm 

Hey guys, so today my old Kona cindercone gets painted! I'm going with a lovely white orchid pearl and mint green graphics with a black outline. Bike is for the GF and those were her color choices. Any way my friend at our bodyshop is painting it for me and I am applying the decals under clear. I tested the material and the clear to make sure they would not bubble and they were fine.

I'm looking for some tips when in comes to properly aligning graphics. I only get one shot so I need to get it right! The decals are masked. Anyone have any suggestions for me?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:37 pm 
Old School Grand Master

- Clean the bike with the right product (there should be a paper with the decals to tell you which one to use. I believe I used Acetone on mine, as per Gil_m's instructions.)
- Make sure both the fame and the decals are at room temperature (materials expand and contract as the temperature changes, so starting with different temps is a good way to get tears or wrinkles in your new decals)
- Mask the surrounding area and use the masking tape as a base to draw markings on (makes it easier to get correct alignment on both sides)
- Carefully apply the decals and rub them from the inside to the edges. (that'll take care of most of the bubbles)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:25 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

Take your time, measure twice, stick once :wink:

Are we talking about the regular type of vinyl decals here? as I have had some in the past that were more like the type you might find in model airplane kits ie. they were more like a slip stansfer and you needed to apply them wet.