Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:13 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:24 am 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

My name keeps popping up on this thread, must be 6-degrees of separation or something :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:30 am 
Old School Grand Master

GT-Steve wrote:
My name keeps popping up on this thread, must be 6-degrees of separation or something :lol:

Haha, now you mention it, one of the bikes I was referring to in my second post was the white Cro Mega you sold me! ;)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:24 am 

Aaaaaarrrrrrgggghhhhh :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:02 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

If the seller takes his time an wraps a frame like that with plenty padding and all the vulnerable points protected, whats the problem ? Its clearly a bike frame not just a brown box that could contain anything. I have received bike frames in various types of packing and the only one ever to be damaged came in a bike box. I have packed frames similar to the one the OP is protesting about without a single peep of complaint from a buyer. Plus OP is protesting the wrapping before he's examined it. Bike boxes are not the solution to universal bike transportation, they are only a method that can but does not always work.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:56 pm 
Retro Guru

velomaniac wrote:
OP is protesting the wrapping before he's examined it. Bike boxes are not the solution to universal bike transportation, they are only a method that can but does not always work.

I am afraid that I am not an engineer so it is difficult for me to determine if this method of packaging is safer than others. With that said, to my laymans eyes the vintage frame seemed very vulnerable to possible damage through our Domestic Postal System.

But...hey...I am sure we can all agree for the price I paid...he could have at least dropped it in a frame box.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:05 pm 
Old School Grand Master

When size and weight make such a difference to shipping costs I see no harm in packaging a frame up as above; indeed I have done so myself (pipe lagging on all the tubes, extra around the pointy bits, then taped inside two industrial-strength bin bags...) and can assure anyone that it is not cheap to do so...

...unlike a recycled bike-box from an LBS, which is probably subject to far more abuse by a Courier Company than the above?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:18 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

We_are_Stevo wrote:
When size and weight make such a difference to shipping costs I see no harm in packaging a frame up as above; indeed I have done so myself (pipe lagging on all the tubes, extra around the pointy bits, then taped inside two industrial-strength bin bags...) and can assure anyone that it is not cheap to do so...

...unlike a recycled bike-box from an LBS, which is probably subject to far more abuse by a Courier Company than the above?

Sorry Stevo , I object to that statement.
A box is naturally going to offer better protection even if it is tossed about which i dont think it is usually as i havent received many bashed boxes :?
Unless these industrial strength bags you speak of are carbon fiber then theyre likely to offer zero protection.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:28 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Barneyballbags wrote:
I've also received bikes which have taken longer to unpack than they have to re-build :shock:

GT-Steve wrote:

Actually, GT-Steve sent that same Scott on to me with so much packaging that it did indeed take longer to find and unpack everything than to build it. So yes, here's your name again, Steve. :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:55 pm 
Retro Guru
Retro Guru

What concerns me more is you put it on your bonnet / hood to take the photo ... :shock: :lol:

WD :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:38 pm 
Old School Grand Master

dyna-ti wrote:
We_are_Stevo wrote:

Sorry Stevo , I object to that statement.
A box is naturally going to offer better protection even if it is tossed about which i dont think it is usually as i havent received many bashed boxes :?
Unless these industrial strength bags you speak of are carbon fiber then theyre likely to offer zero protection.

Why? The lagging gives far more protection than a box, and the bags were somewhere to stick the labels... :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next