Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:51 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:11 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:48 am
Posts: 6980
Location: Bristle
R7's are light but not as light as the lightest SIDs unfortunately. Also most of them are disc only.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:18 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 7:11 pm
Posts: 8479
Location: Fircombe.
Re the tyres; have you considered going tubeless? :shock: :o :o

Yes, you only save 100gms or so (1/4lb!) of tube per wheel, but tubeless tyres roll much better!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:24 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:36 pm
Posts: 16749
Location: Yorkshire, England
suburbanreuben wrote:
Re the tyres; have you considered going tubeless? :shock: :o :o

Yes, you only save 100gms or so (1/4lb!) of tube per wheel, but tubeless tyres roll much better!


Assuming you have Tubeless rims ?
Make shift ones, still need spunk and valve-rim strip ? which must weight something. (no idea how much spunk, sorry sealent stuff, or a valve weighs.

Tyre are the same weight though, given they are dual purpose tyres ?


All this talk is starting to get me to wonder what I should change on mine again :lol: Not till the dry weather makes it useful though.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:26 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 7:25 pm
Posts: 4977
Location: Edinburgh
cce wrote:
R7's are light but not as light as the lightest SIDs unfortunately. Also most of them are disc only.


I think the ones I've got are around 2006 and they take V's. I know the lightest SIDs are super light but even second hand they are pricey.

The weight of the R7 seems to have bobbed up and down from year to year. The lightest are very light and the heaviest are just average.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:42 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 7:11 pm
Posts: 8479
Location: Fircombe.
FluffyChicken wrote:
suburbanreuben wrote:
Re the tyres; have you considered going tubeless? :shock: :o :o

Yes, you only save 100gms or so (1/4lb!) of tube per wheel, but tubeless tyres roll much better!


Assuming you have Tubeless rims ?
Make shift ones, still need spunk and valve-rim strip ? which must weight something. (no idea how much spunk, sorry sealent stuff, or a valve weighs.

Tyre are the same weight though, given they are dual purpose tyres ?


All this talk is starting to get me to wonder what I should change on mine again :lol: Not till the dry weather makes it useful though.
Nah, you don't need old fashioned, overweight "tubeless rims" Any old rim will do, with 20g of Stans yellow rim strip and 50-75g of jizz. I use Bonti TLRs at 500g per tyre for a 2.1...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:50 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:40 pm
Posts: 2164
Location: Nottingham
Don't carry a pump (gas cartridge is lighter) nor a spare tube (2" square of patch and a half-emptied tube of glue lighter) nor a multi-tool (never ride alone and borrow). That'll save you half a grand on lighter components! And DO NOT have breakfast.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:53 pm 
Gold Trader | rBoTM Winner
Gold Trader | rBoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:30 am
Posts: 2389
Location: London
oldave wrote:
Don't carry a pump (gas cartridge is lighter) nor a spare tube (2" square of patch and a half-emptied tube of glue lighter) nor a multi-tool (never ride alone and borrow). That'll save you half a grand on lighter components! And DO NOT have breakfast.


I'll give up sex too


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:54 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:02 pm
Posts: 1180
Location: In the Garage in Somerset
After looking at the forks, tyres, and stem I would say replace as many steel fasteners with ti or alloy as possible, but this really will drain the wallet! For stems I would say control tech, reasonably light but still strong or maybe ritchey, which seem easy to get and fairly well priced.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:56 pm 
Gold Trader | rBoTM Winner
Gold Trader | rBoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:30 am
Posts: 2389
Location: London
How do magura Rond Quake Air compare to say 1998-2000 Sids?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:03 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:48 am
Posts: 6980
Location: Bristle
It's fairly safe to assume most stuff is heavier than the equivalent SID

a 2003 quake air is 200+g heavier than a 2003 SID for example

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listi ... nsionforks


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group