Official "My Overweight Bike - how do I shed some lbs? "

ibbz

Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Karma King
Dyna-Tech Fan
Feedback
View
Want some weight loss? Bike too fat and obese ?

Post away and solutions will be presented!!

Changed name of the thread as I think it'd be a good idea for folks to post their bikes and spec here and ask for assistance in shaving weight or getting the right spec.

As it seems to popular.

So post away and ask away.
And should this thread be "official"?

Here's mine ; (still in progress )

I built up a nice looking (I think) Raleigh RSP Titanium.
And put on some really choice parts.

But it's heavy, it weighs about as much as my Dynatech, well, when I say heavy I mean I expected it to weigh at least a couple of lbs less - it weighs in at approximately 25 1/2 lbs.
Whereas the MT4 is a touch lighter - barely noticeable, but seems to be somehow.
The RSP is also a bit 'front heavy', It rides very nicely, but lacks a little something, perhaps the solid kind of direct feel of the MT4 - I can'\t put my finger on it- I put that down to rigid forks on the MT4 perhaps? The rsp It's very plush over bumps rough ground etc though and steers beautifully feels great but not as nice as the MT4

How do I shed some pounds? The forks? they're Marzocchi Z3's (2000) and weight 4 lbs
If so what should I use?
The wheels perhaps?
It just feels a bit Piggish compared to the Dynatech (though it's much lighter than the RSP 250 I have) - piggish in feel and in ride, and after all that money spent I prefer the ride on the Dynatech. :(
Of course it's nice, but I expected a nicer ride than the MT4 by far - it's upsetting as I spent so much time and effort.
I think some balanced and lighter weight would solve things?
I need front suspension on this though.

Complete Spec.

Frame - Raleigh RSP Titanium
Headset - Chris King.
Bottom Bracket - Phil Wood
Crank - Syncros
Chainset/Rings - Ringlé
Fork - Marzocchi Z3
Stem - X-Lite L168
Bars - X-Lite XLR Ti flat
Spacer - X-Lite alloy
Seat Post - USE Alien Ti
Saddle -Flite Ti Gel
Seat Clamp - generic
Skewers - X-Lite Ti
Grips - Lizard Skin peachy
Shifters - Shimano M008
Cables - Shimano XTR
Rear Mech - Shimano XTR M900
Front Mech - Shimano XTR M901
Hubs - Shimano XTR M900
Cassette - Shimano XTR M950 8 spd.
Chain - SRAM 8 spd.
Wheels - Mavic 231
Tyres - Panaracer Smoke and Dart 2.1
Tubes - Continental with Dunlop Valve.
Brake Levers - Magura HS33
Brakes - Magura HS33
Pedals - Wellgo CNC silver

photo_7.jpg

photo_10.jpg

Re: Overweight Bike - how do I shed some lbs?

Z3's are no flyweights and nor are maguras.

I use a SID on my merlin when i fancy suspension (it's 21.something lbs when sprung). Much lighter than a bomber.

Overall spec is pretty sound though - M900 hubs are not that light, M950 were a healthy improvement.

As above, them forks are heavy, work though.

Also try a shorter stem, from the pictures above the stems look a similar length but the head angle is say on, even with a bit of sag, that the stem should be shorter. What length are they, then try 20mm+ shorter on thee suspended bike.
Inner tubes?
Forks are about as lb+ heavier than the lighter ones and the hubs although mentioned are nothing compared ton other things, about 0.15lb compared to lighter ones.

agree, the two main items I would revisit would be the mags and forks

Are those tyres kevlar beaded? I can heartily recommend modern schwalbe stuff, light and grippy, they really unlock the zip in a bike

At 25lbs, that's not exactly heavy!

My own Ti framed bike tips the scales at a smidgen over 20lb and I have used quite light weight components and rigid forks, here is a link to my build which lists all the components used as a comparison; viewtopic.php?f=6&t=196000&hilit=+Clark+kent

There are a few ways you can loss weight but at the end of the day it just depends on how far you want to go, how deep your pockets are and how important it is to be period c orrect.

I'd think if you found some more modern forks you'd be able to save a bit of weight and perhaps narrower tyres with a foldable bead and light weigh inner tubes that would help and might even improve handling.

The components used are all on the upper end of scale so they are already probably fairly light, but with a bit of research you might find some lighter options, such as modern hollow pin and link chains, perhaps a gander at the weight weenies section might help. If HS33,'s weren't vital perhaps switching over to V brakes might again lose a bit of weight and there is of course Ti bolt upgrades available and taking things to extremes making sure you not using more cabling than absolutely necessary, but then things are getting a tad anal!

Good luck on putting the bike on a course of weight watchers!

good v brakes are worth 250-300 or maybe even more grams over maguras

julesg007":3gsb1ky1 said:
At 25lbs, that's not exactly heavy!

It's pretty porky for a frame of that calibre imho. a 23lb hardtail build shouldn't be difficult.

And modern tyres mean you dont have to be narrow to be light - my schwalbes are ~500g at 2.25in

There are definately lighter forks you could use, Rock Shox SID's, Pace, AMP etc.

Tyres and tubes can also save you a lot of weight for not a lot of money, so worth looking into that as well.

imo 25lbs isn't exactly heavy for that bike, with a few simple changes you should be able to drop a couple of pounds, but will it make the bike feel any better to ride? maybe maybe not :?

It's probably more to do with a slacker head-tube right? If it had the rigid forks like on the dyna-tech I'm sure it would feel sharper and responsive. Perhaps some Marzocchi XC700 instead to sharpen the angles and reduce a bit of weight?

Back