what spoke length - front XTR m900 with Mavic M231?

RockiMtn

Gold Trader
Rocky Mountain Fan
Feedback
View
Can someone give me the spoke length required for a front wheel 3 cross build using a 32 hole XTR m900 hub and Mavic m231 rim?

Thanks!

Do I have to have the exact spoke length or is there a bit of leeway, say plus/minus 2 or 3 mm?

Firstly, Roger Musson advises rounding down, rather than up. My feeling is that spokes 1mm too short is quite ok, 2mm too short is kind of outer limit and 3mm too short is going to be too weak (i.e., not enough threads will correspond). Spokes too long is similar in terms of strength, but a pain in terms of driving with a screwdriver.

Someone will probably come on and say 'I never bother and some of my spokes are 5mm too short and I've never stripped a thread yet', in which case good luck, but I doubt whether the spoke makers would go the expense of making spokes in 1mm increments if any old length would do.

I think you can compensate for shorter spokes if you use longer nipples with more thread, but I'll have to leave it to somebody else to explain that, as I've never done it.

It's important the thread of the spoke passes all the way through the nipple. i.e. if the calculator says 251, then I'd buy 252 to be sure.

gtRTSdh":2w17tzgc said:
It's important the thread of the spoke passes all the way through the nipple. i.e. if the calculator says 251, then I'd buy 252 to be sure.
We'd better tell Roger Musson that gtRTSdh knows more about wheel building than he does. Stand well back everybody.

Spocalc tips out 268.5

if you can get 269's i'd run those, but 268s if not. I generally round in the "closest" direction, though I've rounded xxx.8 and xxx.9 up to xxx+2 before now.

Latest posts

Back