Uptown kit on a downtown frame??

abailcb

Dirt Disciple
Over the years I've piled up several sets of high quality build kits
4 XTR's (2 900's/2 950's)
4 XT's ( 2 pre-737/ 2 post)

Problem is none of the bikes I've stashed was ever spec'd with an XTR. Many wouldn't have even been XT. I got away with building a mid-range GT in 952 trim because, once polished, many of the models are essentially identical in the mid-90's. The others I'm kind of struggling with ....

Example : I've got any very clean 900 series kit that included a NOS threaded headset. I was really wanting to build a steel frame so that limits my options.

Option #1 - NOS Dirt research that could have been done, but it came with a threadless fork and branded threadless stem - so that doesn't work out.

Option #2 - Steel Rocky Mountain, but it's a Hammer, which was way down the scale. Should that matter since I won't be doing a true restoration?

Option #3 - Give up on steel and build the Super Evo - since it has a nice threaded fork.

I'm leaning toward the Hammer, but would like to hear what other think about going so far upscale on the kit ....

Well if you're not doing a factory spec resto, put what you like on the frame.

I'm doing a Kona Fire Mountain that's going to have a fair bit of M737 XT on it, definately way above original spec, but I want to so why not? it's my bike and I have the parts (or most of them)

:D

I say go for whatever you feel is right. I've up-specced every build I've ever done aside from my very first lx build. Once you've had the cream of the crop, its difficult to go down the peckin order. I did manage to recently complete a Saracen tuff-trax elite, and kitted this out with xt m737/9, which I believe to be a bit above its station but, and this is a big but, I've become a bit of a snob when it comes to parts since finding this site, so always aim as high as I can now, even if the frame didn't come with it. I'm not into catalogue spec tbh.

Sometimes I upgrade, and it really improves the bike. However sometimes the lowly groupset really gives the bike a nice blue-collar character and riding feel. In those cases I just leave it as is, or replace the worn parts with NOS ones of the same type.

Also, it's a lot cheaper to collect NOS Alivio parts (for example) than it is to get NOS M730-900. I have a full Altus set (full drivetrain, mechs, brakes, STI etc) on standby for my Sbike, and I think I only paid £75 or so for all of it.

If you went out and bought a bike new today, you'd buy what you could afford. Six months down the line, you have an altercation with gravity and mangle some parts. You'll replace them with what you can afford (which usually equates to one up in the groupset hierarchy at my house). So no, it isn't wrong to have better end kit on lower end frames. But there is probably a line somewhere - you wouldn't put XTR on a bike shaped object. I'd say if you are questioning if you should put the kit on a frame then you shouldn't, save it for the right frame.

Sell all the chintz and buy a decent steel frame. Run it single speed and you'll wonder why you ever bothered with shiny gew gaws, gears and stuff. ;)

I've got full M900 on a Rocky Mountain Fusion with some other period-ish high end kit, so I cannot see the problem with the Hammer. The stuff turn and works just the same and looks pretty nice.
Also gave a mate some M900, as I wasn't using it, to go on a low spec Saracen, it seem to allow the bike to move and be peddled and change gear. Though I wouldn't give either grey outer cables, that's strictly high end race bikes in my book.

suburbanreuben":a3twvwxy said:
Sell all the chintz and buy a decent steel frame. Run it single speed and you'll wonder why you ever bothered with shiny gew gaws, gears and stuff. ;)

+1 :D

Mick :)

Back