Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:47 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:11 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:22 pm
Posts: 7305
Location: Hove
cce wrote:
the Merlin (lancashire) and coyotes of this world wanted something they could charge more for something with cachet
so the generic frame shops bought a pile of easton tubing...

I'd be interested to know what you mean by 'generic frame shops'. My understanding is that Easton only licenced certain factories to build with Easton Elite, so all Easton Elite frames were built in equivalent and high-standard factories. If there were cheap factories that worked to lower standards, Easton wouldn't have licenced them. However all factories made long runs of plain unbranded frames that were sold into the retail market and branded locally. They would be of the same quality as the factory's other produce and offer the same warranty to the distributor, but they'd just be plain designs - e.g., they wouldn't have had distinctive design features like this frame.

So you could pay £600 for a Kona Kula or £300 for a Handsome Dog Elite and they'd probably have been made in the same factory to the same standards. If you ever read contemporary tests of Handsome Dog, Merlin, Rock Lobster, Coyote, Ballistic etc, they all received high ratings, and there's no reason to doubt their quality. Of these brands, only Handsome Dog and Coyote made Easton Elite frames at that time, and this isn't a Handsome Dog, but it does look to me like a Coyote. If it was, I would expect it to show the Easton E (although they're very faint), but I don't know that for sure. There's nothing magic about Easton Elite though - it was just a guarantee of quality, but any other frame weighing 3.5lbs is likely to be built from db 7005 of similar tube profiles.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:50 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:24 am
Posts: 7561
Location: Manchester
Also bear in mind a lot of fakes are produced over there.
Just a sticker?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:47 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:48 am
Posts: 6974
Location: Bristle
Anthony wrote:
cce wrote:
the Merlin (lancashire) and coyotes of this world wanted something they could charge more for something with cachet
so the generic frame shops bought a pile of easton tubing...

I'd be interested to know what you mean by 'generic frame shops'. My understanding is that Easton only licenced certain factories to build with Easton Elite, so all Easton Elite frames were built in equivalent and high-standard factories. If there were cheap factories that worked to lower standards, Easton wouldn't have licenced them. However all factories made long runs of plain unbranded frames that were sold into the retail market and branded locally. They would be of the same quality as the factory's other produce and offer the same warranty to the distributor, but they'd just be plain designs - e.g., they wouldn't have had distinctive design features like this frame.

So you could pay £600 for a Kona Kula or £300 for a Handsome Dog Elite and they'd probably have been made in the same factory to the same standards. If you ever read contemporary tests of Handsome Dog, Merlin, Rock Lobster, Coyote, Ballistic etc, they all received high ratings, and there's no reason to doubt their quality. Of these brands, only Handsome Dog and Coyote made Easton Elite frames at that time, and this isn't a Handsome Dog, but it does look to me like a Coyote. If it was, I would expect it to show the Easton E (although they're very faint), but I don't know that for sure. There's nothing magic about Easton Elite though - it was just a guarantee of quality, but any other frame weighing 3.5lbs is likely to be built from db 7005 of similar tube profiles.


What I meant was the manufacturers who were pumping out frames like this to anyone who wanted to stick a label on them, as opposed to the ones making stuff to a customer's specific design.

No implications as to the quality of the work.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:40 pm 
Old School Hero
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:06 am
Posts: 217
Location: Brighton
Rampage wrote:
Also bear in mind a lot of fakes are produced over there.
Just a sticker?


Really? Is there any evidence of this? There isn't even a sticker on my frame, and no serial number I noticed yesterday, it was as it is when I got it. Shiny.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:00 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:48 am
Posts: 6974
Location: Bristle
cyclinggardener wrote:
Rampage wrote:
Also bear in mind a lot of fakes are produced over there.
Just a sticker?


Really? Is there any evidence of this? There isn't even a sticker on my frame, and no serial number I noticed yesterday, it was as it is when I got it. Shiny.



The fakes tend to be of big brand names rather than subtle stuff like an Easton sticker.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:03 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:24 am
Posts: 7561
Location: Manchester
cyclinggardener wrote:
Rampage wrote:
Also bear in mind a lot of fakes are produced over there.
Just a sticker?


Really? Is there any evidence of this? There isn't even a sticker on my frame, and no serial number I noticed yesterday, it was as it is when I got it. Shiny.



I was meaning fakes in general, I don't know about bikes. I wouldn't be surprised though.
There's currently a shortage of Baby Forumula (powdered baby milk) in Hong Kong as they have found fake baby formula in China which is produced in the factory's over there. So people in the mainland are buying it from Hong Kong. This was on PCNE the Chinese TV channel.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Adam_S, Antstark, bartsince1975, bills_shack, biocandy and 62 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group