Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:47 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:33 am 
Retro Guru

So what year is my black E4 then??

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:52 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

fattiman wrote:
So what year is my black E4 then??

If the paint is original, it will be a 2000 model. Can we see a picture?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:06 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

sylus wrote:
There is a 99 e4 for sale on eBay at the mo

Looks in good condition too, and quite a historic example with its earlyish adoption of Hope C2 discs using a rear adapter. Orange didn't provide disc tabs until the E-six in 2001 (there was no E5 for some reason).

I wouldn't fancy the ProClass RC36 myself though. Even though they actually had 90mm travel, not 100 as stated, I think the frame is better suited to the 70mm RC36 Evo. It has excellent handling and steering with the Evo plus the later 90mm stem that I have on mine.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/orange-E4-mou ... 0904247652

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:52 pm 
Retro Guru

Yes I will take some tonight. Paint is original.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:34 pm 
Dirt Disciple

My E4 is definitely a '99

Serial number is T90112120

I've also been looking through old Orange brochures and the '98 E4 looks to have different shape seatstays, chainstays and downtube as well as the mentioned dropout shape?

I know there was no E5 but why have two different versions of the E4 and then move on to E6?!! It's almost like my E4 should have been an E5!

The blurb in the Orange brochure mentions that the '98 E4 was built in limited numbers with most going to the Orange XC Team and then sales after that - probably just marketing spin but might be one explanation as to why the change in frames.

It's hard to tell from the brochure, but the seatstays of the '98 E4 don't look as 'curvacious' as the '99 E4.

Pic of mine below

Attachment:
File comment: '99 E4 Wishbone Rear
'99 E4 Wishbone Rear.JPG
'99 E4 Wishbone Rear.JPG [ 52.62 KiB | Viewed 134 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:03 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

No, I think the curvature of the seat stays remained the same, but the chain stays are different - the 99 are slab-sided at the front, whereas the 98 are round. I expect that makes the 99 stays stiffer, although I hope it doesn't mean you have lost too much vertical compliance, as I've always found my E4 very comfortable - certainly relative to the harshness I'd read about in aluminium frames. I don't think the down tubes differ, and I'm not sure they could as there was only one Easton Elite down tube available. Your photo does seem to confirm that the 99 frame doesn't have a mount for an E-fit front mech. If fattiman posts some shots of his frame, we'll see that they changed the chainstay design again for 2000. So quite a few detail design changes there, maybe the chainstays being the most significant, but they must have thought it was still the same basic design. Or maybe they just liked the E4 name for some reason, and didn't want to change it?

T90112120 is another new one. It seems they had the frames made at various factories over the years. Mine is an F (Fairly works), some are A (A-Pro, the main Orange builder), most 99s seem to be MT (I don't know the builder) and I've even seen one quoted as G (again builder unknown to me). For 200 frames a year, that's quite a lot of builders! I haven't heard the explanation for that, but they must all be good builders, as Easton would only allow Elite to be used by selected builders in those days. I've always assumed that the 200 per annum thing is true. Otherwise, why say it? The frames were priced at £550 BITD.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:30 am 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Don't know why Orange went to even numbers but the trend continued in to the 2000's e.g e6 to e8 and Evo4 to 6 to 8 I seem to remember. Saying that, there was a G3 a few years ago although I think that signified it's position in the range rather then model year.

Was there ever an O3?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:07 pm 
Dirt Disciple

I've had quite few aluminium frames and I'd have to say the E4 is comparable to the Prestige I had for feel. I thought It would be like a pinball being completely rigid but it's surprisingly comfortable. Mind, the wheels are build using DT revs which are quite 'springy' and the RC31s have quite a bit of 'give'.....almost micro suspension! Overall, it's very light and accelerates really quickly and I'm glad I went for only two chain rings up front...only two problems with the bike; feels like I'm cheating on the hill climbs given it's lack of mass and as the front end is very light the front wheel lifts a lot on steep climbs!

Can't wait to try the Vit built up...I've never ridden a titanium frame, although I hope to fit 3rd generation RC30s - I doubt straight legged steel forks will be as comfy as the carbon ones?!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:37 am 
Retro Guru

Will be interested in your thoughts on the rc30's. I have a set of 2nd gens but fitting Ti rc31's to my Vit and hoping they are a good march.

I think the rc30's third gens look like a great match style wise to a Ti frame.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:38 am 
Dirt Disciple

What year is your Vit secret squirrel?

I'm trying to identify the internal seat tube diameter - an old Orange brochure details a 25.4 seat
post shimmed to 28.2

28.2 seems a strange size to me so thought it might be a typo and more likely 27.2 like lots of other Orange frames. However, with vernier callipers set at 27.2 it's a bit 'gappy' and 28.2 is too snug (calliper points won't go in tube!)....callipers measure 27.8 to 27.9 depending on direction.

Given the rough edges of the split in the rear of the seat tube it looks like it needs a shim - but what size?

Anyone know?!

From the serial number looks to be a '95 Vit T2 I have

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next