Pick a colour! - 1992 Rocky Mountain Vertex Steel frame

shutter

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi! This Is my first post here!
Thanks again to Frank (RockiMtn) for introducing me to the site!!

I have slowly started to collect Rocky Mountain bikes... At the moment I have a 1992 steel vertex and a 1996 blizzard that I bought off of Frank (thanks!)

The vertex has been repainted professionally at some point in its life... I want to repaint it but I'm not sure what colour... Solid black is too bland... I was thinking of painting the seat tube and all forward in white... This is basically what the old blizzards were... but then it looks like I am copying a blizzard...

For reference it will have a full M900 group with silver/black race face turbine crank, and Syncros setup as pictured... The wheels I will be using have gold hoops (Mavic 230 TiB I think...?) and M900 hubs... They are near Nos so the brake surface is all gold looking

Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 610
Nice score :cool: I personally like the original Sapphire colourway.....

Your plans sound good, howabout you substitute the Black idea for a dark blue? Would look classy up against white & nearly achieve the same effect (in a B&W picture).

Hmmm... Do you have a sample pic? Blue could be cool... I am tempted to do a two tone like many other vintage Rockies... Any ideas?

The steel Vertex's are so rare---personally, I'd try to get a close match to the original sapphire color from the catologue.

Cool bike ...
Good luck with the build ..start a thread in readers bikes section
Personally given it's rarity I would go for the original colourway
RM did some great metal flake paint jobs so maybe you could go with the blue but with a different blue flake ?

Thanks! Ok you talked me into it... Now, how do I match that metallic blue? I know I can't get exact but close would be nice... The catalog pic is pretty low quality... Does anybody have any higher res pics of that metallic blue? I usually just pick the colour out of a fan booklet and get spray cans made up at the auto paint supplier... Better than a basic spray can at the hardware store and much cheaper than a custom job

I've never seen one in the catalogue colour. I suppose it's possible that the actual colour is that blue darkened with age, but it actually looks more as though they eventually chose a different colour.

Attachments

• 1992 Rocky Mountain Vertex frame.JPG
    1992 Rocky Mountain Vertex frame.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 513
  • 1992 Rocky Mountain Vertex size 18.5.jpg
    1992 Rocky Mountain Vertex size 18.5.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 513
Back