Quill stem on a threadless steerer

concordino

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hello Guys,

I am looking at putting a threadless fork on a vintage build and wanted to know if i can use a quill stem with it or am i condemned to using only an a-head stem ?

Also can you use a threaded headset or must i use only a threadless headset.

Thanks

Someone else asked this recently, and I quote what I said then

"To use a quill stem the steerer must be a threaded one and use a threaded headset. the expander wedge just grips the inside of the steerer, keeping the stem & the forks together, it does nothing to secure either to the frame!

if the steerer has a star nut fitted and is smooth on the outside its a threadless steerer. these work with ahead/threadless headsets. the two systems are not mix and match.
"

There is one other option, although it's risky and probably expensive.....

Get the threadless steerer cut down and threaded. However I would have it checked for suitable thickness first or you may find it snaps in the threads once they are cut. Also check the ID is suitable for the quill stem.

This would be rather expensive as a machine shop would have to do it to ensure accuracy.

I would say find another (threaded) fork if you're set on a quill stem.

Get the threadless steerer cut down and threaded.

Good luck with that. I tried at 5 local bike shops to have the thread cut further down a threaded steerer, they all looked at me like I'd arrived from another planet. :?

Thanks guys for all the replies.

I hope the market brings some nice pair of cool rigid forks my way as that is about the only thing holding me up for my next project.

xerxes":28ge1kdx said:

Good luck with that. I tried at 5 local bike shops to have the thread cut further down a threaded steerer, they all looked at me like I'd arrived from another planet. :?
TBH, you'd have been better trying a frame builder, the number of bike shops that deal with stuff like that these days could probably be counted on the fingers of one head.

There is one other option, although it's risky and probably expensive.....

There is another....

BITD my LBS performed quite a few suspension fork upgrades which included moving to an aheadset by fitting a clamp not too dissimilar to a seat clamp (which it may well have been, I didn't think about it at the time) to hold the headset together instead of an aheadstem and then fitted the quill stem into the steerer tube in traditional manner.

I didn't hear of anyone incurring any death or injuries due to it - including a mate of mine who rode many years with this setup.

Yes the seatpost clamp idea will work, if you dare there are special minimalistic 1 bolt clamps from problemsolvers. But they don't dare to state this kind of use with their product, so probably better not :roll: Many BMX brands still have 28.6mm clamps, you can even have them with double bolts, so it is exactly as strong as a regular stem with double bolts. But this won't look very nice though.
For installing you would need some sort of press (long piece of thread with big rings and nuts on both sides will do) to adjust the headset play. Or fit a starnut temporarily and after you tighten the clamp you can take out the headset cap and the starnut.
There are even special headsets to take out the play. ACOR made them for instance; it's an ahead set but with a nut and threads in between so you can adjust the play without the need of a starnut or topcap. I've added a picture, you can just about make out the headset that I'm talking about.

All that said: Just get a fork with threads :evil: everything is better when it is just installed the way it was supposed to, without adapters and stuff ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0880b.jpg
    IMG_0880b.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 368
xerxes":fhevlpu9 said:

I did say machine shop, I'm thinking they would have to do it in a lathe???

Easier by far to just get another threaded fork.

Back