STI Shifter Reassembly

markwoo

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Anyone know any resources where I could find step by step instuctions on how to put a set of XT M737 shifters back together?

I started taking a set apart to clean and regrease not realising how apparently trick they are to put back together!

Attachments

• DSCF4763.jpg
    DSCF4763.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 358
I did the same thing with a pair of m900s a year or two ago. I didn't find anything helpful online; but whenever the topic came up, most agreed that they weren't meant to be serviceable. Maybe a Swiss watchmaker could put those things back together, but I think there are a few too many springs and washers for most of us. Then again, there might be someone on here who could do it, there seems to an expert for most everything on here.

Yeah, there are people here who can service and modify STI units as needed. However the general consensus is to avoid opening them up. Brunox does miracles when sprayed directly into the STI. I've revived quite a few "dead" ones with it.

However I read that you have already opened yours up, so it's probably a bit late.
Still, have a look at this topic. Perhaps it helps

hmm.....doesn't sound promising. I only got as far as removing the central allen bolt and took one look inside and started coming out in a cold sweat. When I screw it back on try it nothing seems to be catching so the cable doesn't progress any further inside and the red indicator doesn't move in the clear window to tell you what gear you are in.

Attachments

• DSCF4787.jpg
    DSCF4787.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 346
I spent about 2 hours trying to re-assemble mine. I took pics of it before dis-assembling, took everything out and placed it in order, cleaned, then tried to re-fit. Everything lined up correctly, but one nut would not catch the inner bolt properly...it'd only thread about half a turn. Found a replacement on the 'bay.

the 737 are a lot easier than the earlier ones. infraction you only need to service the two pawls (easy enough to take apart and put back on) and clean up the innards with wd etc then drip light oil through from the top then after some ratcheting action squeeze grease into the top gaps, pawl contacts and your shifter will normally be as good as new.
I have a few working sets now.

m900 and earlier are harder as the thing I'd more complicated as the ratcheting is also done on the Inside!.

FluffyChicken":2g207sii said:
the 737 are a lot easier than the earlier ones. infraction you only need to service the two pawls (easy enough to take apart and put back on) and clean up the innards with wd etc then drip light oil through from the top then after some ratcheting action squeeze grease into the top gaps, pawl contacts and your shifter will normally be as good as new.

sounds promising - any chance of an idiot-proof walkthrough of such a process? ;)

It's the "put back on" phase I'm having trouble with. I can't get all the necessary male and female parts to engage (story of my life...) :facepalm:

I can when I have sometime for pictures. I vaugly remember someone posting about the pawl service, might be quicker to see what and if they described it in detail.

But to get it back together, take the indicators off then put the bottom part in, then the indicator back on.
What's not working on them?

Interesting to see another variation on these. As far as I can tell the indicator is driven by the plastic pin (RED) plugging into the hole on the white plastic cable holder (BLUE).

I've highlighted one of the pawls in green... Do they rotate when you push the levers?

It looks like you've got decent access already to prod them with a screwdriver and spray lube on them. Removing them and doing a proper lube job looks tight without further dismantling... Not recommended if you're already bricking it!

Attachments

• XT-Rapidfire-Annotated.jpg
    XT-Rapidfire-Annotated.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 317
Ahhh right , so next ,what you do after you've removed the shifters from the levers is to get two bags
Mark one Lh and the other right hand , put the collection of little springs ,pressed parts and washers in the respective bags
Next take a hacksaw /milling machine to the brake levers and remove the shifter mounts
You will now have a perfectly functioning set of xt brake levers
Now the bags containing the shifters , put them in that drawer/old biscuit tin /tupperware box in the shed
And fix them later ,just like the watch strap ,rusty padlock, and the broken plastic toy that you got from the
Christmas cracker 3 years ago
Then buy some thumbies

Here to help

Mike

Back