Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:36 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:48 pm 
Retro Guru

After a lot of effort getting hold of a replacement crown race for my 1" threaded headset it now appears that it's still the wrong size for my steerer. The steerer is 1" but the shim at the base measures 27mm- all my crown races must be 26.4mm :roll:

I have invested too much effort and cash searching for replacement parts for my old XT headset to now switch and try to get hold of another one, so I'm considering my limited options.

The shim has been designed with a split in so it's not a full circle - I'm thinking this would cause a fair bit of difficulty if I was to find someone with a lathe...

Has anyone else encountered this problem? I welcome any suggestions... :) :)

Attachments:
DSCF4731.JPG
DSCF4731.JPG [ 127.09 KiB | Viewed 248 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:35 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Where did you get the crown shim from? Isn't JIS standard 27.0 and international standard 26.4 when it comes to crown races? Perhaps you have a JIS shim?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:38 pm 
Retro Guru

ishaw wrote:
Where did you get the crown shim from? Isn't JIS standard 27.0 and international standard 26.4 when it comes to crown races? Perhaps you have a JIS shim?

Forks were built from scratch by Tim Price ;)

Yep you're right with regards the standards and sizes...He seems to think that maybe the steerer was slightly oversize and it's reduced the tolerance fit with the crown race and shim :(

Might have to send them back to him to replace the steerer if I can't find a cheaper alternative..

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:02 am 
Retro Guru

Looking at your pic I would say turning that down to 26.4 shouldn't be any problem.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:22 pm 
Retro Guru

integerspin wrote:
Looking at your pic I would say turning that down to 26.4 shouldn't be any problem.

It would be easier to make a new shim, and split it afterwards. Or maybe try boring the crown race out, it may be too hard though.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:12 am 
Retro Guru

gtRTSdh wrote:
integerspin wrote:

It would be easier to make a new shim, and split it afterwards. Or maybe try boring the crown race out, it may be too hard though.

!!!!
As I said I can't see an difficulty turning it down.
You could send it to me, but two lot's of postage will probably be more than it
will cost in a local engineering place.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:43 am 
Retro Guru

integerspin wrote:
gtRTSdh wrote:
integerspin wrote:

!!!!
As I said I can't see an difficulty turning it down.
You could send it to me, but two lot's of postage will probably be more than it
will cost in a local engineering place.

Cheers for the offer - but you're right postage both ways is prob a bit unnecessary - I just need to make sure I find someone local who understands fully the application - I imagine that I could skim off the 0.6mm using emery cloth but it's getting a concentric finish I'd be worried about. Thought about removing the steerer and attaching it to my drill somehow (thick dowel and a screw was what I had in mind!!) but I'm sure there are much more conventional approaches available :facepalm:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:46 am 
Retro Guru

integerspin wrote:

Ok, how are you actually going to hold it in a perfectly concentric position, not misaligned like a spring washer, that would be easier than starting again?

secondly 0.6mm off a diameter with emery would take longer than starting again. Polishing 0.1mm is a lot of work on a bar, let alone a fiddly piece like that.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:46 am 
Retro Guru

gtRTSdh wrote:
integerspin wrote:

Ok, how are you actually going to hold it in a perfectly concentric position, not misaligned like a spring washer, that would be easier than starting again?

secondly 0.6mm off a diameter with emery would take longer than starting again. Polishing 0.1mm is a lot of work on a bar, let alone a fiddly piece like that.

Right - correct me if I'm wrong but I'm thinking you're getting confused with posters here. I'm not the guy (integerspin) who was kindly offering his turning services...I'm the dummy who got himself into this situation in the first place. RE: it being perfectly concentric - it was going to be trial and error - hence the palm in face - very heath robinson - but then I don't profess to be a pro. As for the emery cloth, again I'm no pro, but with the right setip would it be that hard to reduce 0.6mm off an alloy shim with a bit of elbow grease and the right grit sandpaper??

Anyhow, this was highly hypothetical and as I said further down "but I'm sure there are much more conventional approaches available" :facepalm:

Still listening to sensible suggestions folks :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:06 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

It gets you back to the postage problem again, but I've got the combined 26.4mm cutter and facing tool required to reduce the size. Usually for fork prep, but it'll do the job nicely.
Happy to lend.

All the best,