what chain to fit?

Chute55uk

Retrobike Rider
GT Fan
Hi all, in my fisher build I am fitting a nos xt 7 speed cassette (last cog screws on) and nos xt thumbies :D. what chain should i get within a tight budget? are the hg40's any good? I dont really want to spend any more than a 10er as the point to the build is to build a retro bike on the cheap (thats what the build thread will be called anyway.)
Im just after something that works, wont rust when the sun comes out and is compatible.
any ideas?

A simple KMC 8-speed chain will do the trick, something like a Z8 or X8-93. I tend to fit KMC chains because they seem more durable than Shimano. Also they don't have that stupid Shimano one-use pin, they have a much more sensible split link so you can unjoin and rejoin the chain for cleaning. Although of course you can buy those links separately and use them on Shimano chains too, if you wish.

Stay away from the X8 from KMC as they have a tendency to rust if left wet and not covered in grime, at least all 4 of mine do.

CRC have some, had some Clark's chains... even coloured one for next to nothing.
But the Rust buster chain Z thing from KMC on my kids bike, while not pretty is durable and has not rusted with abuse and rain.

OK thanks I kind of bought a hg40 now as I want to get the build done at the weekend thanks for the input anyway it's good to know for next time

Back