Bottom Bracket Length for Mid 90's Orange Clockwork

stevenk4563

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Does anyone know which BB length I need for this, I know it's a 68mm shell but am unsure of the correct spindle length.

Thanks

Not a fan of unhelpful answers,just been through this one myself.Mine came with MT60 Deore Crankset and 122mm bottom bracket,but I changed to a sugino chainset because I don't like egg shaped rings.The sugino required a 113mm bottom bracket in order for the front mech to work and the chainline to be correct.Cheers

To be fair to cce, that is the correct answer with nothing more to go on.
Basically asking what crank it is.

107 to 127mm is the normal variation, with few outside of that. or 107-113 or 113 to 118 or 118 to 122 or 122 to 127... depending on the crank on question.....

I have middleburn RS3's with a 113mm axle on mine, I think Shimano M737 XT's would also have been 113mm (this is from memory) Really depends on the cranks as CCE says.

Which cranks are you planning on using?

stevenk4563":5qwvwgan said:
I'm using new shimano alivio 8 speed cranks, Looking at sheldon's page, it seems I can use 110-113.

M430 / M431 ? Check the product number on the bac
All the techdocs and info are on shimano site for them. You should have the installation instructions with them as well.
If it's the square taper version then they say to use 113 length as it's designed to have a chainline of 50mm (being modern)

Although M431 say LL123 which could either be a typo of LL113 or they now give a 122.5 the coding LL123 and you need a 122.5/123 bottom bracket. But then the older version also has this same numbering.

I dare say (but do not know), you could fit a 107/110 in there and move to the more retro 47.5 chainline (if you've not fitted a modern front mech with it's shims that is) for the M430

http://techdocs.shimano.com/techdocs/bl ... ID=jNpbGrM (The SI-xxxx links)

Back