Define 'DIBS' Thread

jonrock

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Someone define what dibs means on a for sale thread?

I was under the impression it meant 1st refusal...

Maybe its changed?

J

i always thought it meant i will have it depending on, pics, price , condition, more details, while i check requirements/bank balance or i know a man who may want it,

ermm so yeah i want it depending on....and can i have first refusal

I'd say first to summit a PM gets dibs, but it also goes down to who stumps up the cash first.

A lot of people ask for dibs to be called in their FS threads for transparency - so there is no argument as to who got there first. I do this but most people ignore it anyway!
But yes I'd agree that it means first refusal or something along those lines.

It's in relation to my for sale thread that went up today..

Jonrock wanted the M900 levers that were offered for sale and requested dibs.

I found this but the request was not followed up with a PM... In the 45 minutes that elapsed where he didn't send me a PM another buyer came through (with a PM) and I sold to them.

Jonrock made the point that I only gave him 45 mins to send a PM. I sold to the first person who followed my stated rules. If I'd have been him and I wanted the levers so badly, I'd have followed my post on the thread immediately with a PM.

I'll hold my hand up, if I've genuinely done wrong here... I have been selling bits for years with not a single problem (and my feedback supports that!)

I have learnt a lesson and all future sales will have a "strictly no dibs" rule..

No dibs in my threads.

My particular favourite is "dibs pending"
If you want me to take more photos, but someone else will take it without them, then they get it.

ringo":394dxd1a said:
It's in relation to my for sale thread that went up today..

Jonrock wanted the M900 levers that were offered for sale and requested dibs.

I found this but the request was not followed up with a PM... In the 45 minutes that elapsed where he didn't send me a PM another buyer came through (with a PM) and I sold to them.

Jonrock made the point that I only gave him 45 mins to send a PM. I sold to the first person who followed my stated rules. If I'd have been him and I wanted the levers so badly, I'd have followed my post on the thread immediately with a PM...

if some one can post on the thread then they can send a pm, its an extra 2 minutes to type, it avoids confusion / disappointment, from the above it sounds like he was requesting but not actually following process so I wouldn't lose any sleep on it, and whats done is done

I sometimes call dibs especially when using my phone as it takes a little longer to type the PM. I'll always follow up with a PM within a minute or two as usually I'll want more info or just an extra few seconds to try and zoom in on the photos. If I needed more time - say 45 mintues, I'd still PM immediately asking for dibs for 45 minutes.

I was under the impression it meant 1st refusal...

"Yeah, I'll have that Merlin Extralight in what may or may not be my size - and I'll just have to sell everything in my garage first..."

But it's OK - I've got first refusal..

:roll: :roll:

Sorry for the sarcasm but he's just called me a Noob...

Back