Slow burning JUCHEM build

futuristicoldman

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Ive just acquired myself a lovely poo brown Juchem frame from sunny germany which is confusing me a little. I think it dates back to 1989 and on the face of it seems to have an 1 1/8" headtube until that is I hold a headset up to it, it seems to be slap bang inbetween 1 1/8' and 1 1/4". The internal is very uniformly sized both top and bottom so I do not believe it to be a worn/flared headtube. Are there any folks on here who have such a frame with any pointers towards what I might have? Digging on line I found some pics where a 1990 frame seemed to run a painted in reducer cup, I was wondering if I should have something similar in mine.
I know these are as rare as squid feathers over here but im hoping one of you bike fiends might have a few pointers.
Thanks

Edit.....Heres one of the pics that ive found that appear to run a reducing cup of sorts

Attachments

• jf.jpg
    jf.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 734
  • Bild065.JPG
    Bild065.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 730
Re: Seeking some german bike advise

futuristicoldman":3cez5mg2 said:
Ive just acquired myself a lovely poo brown Juchem frame from sunny germany which is confusing me a little.

yes, if you poo is that colour I would seek medical advice

Re: Seeking some german bike advise

What's the exact measurement of the headtube and is it the same diameter all the way round?
Exactly the same measurement?
Same the the other end of the headtube?

Re: Seeking some german bike advise of the JUCHEM type

I dont have it here right now but its roughly 3mm bigger than an 1 1/8" tube, top and bottom are the same. If it is a flared tube I cant begin to think what somebody has fitted for it to open up to such a degree. I tried to turn down an 1 1/4" reducer but it has not left a whole lot of the shim behind.
A few examples on the web like the one above seem to have either a machined step or factory fitted reducer as each example that I could find had the suspected reducer painted to match the factory colours. I half suspect the larger tube may have run a 1" fork originally as there cant have been many builders using 1 1/8" back in 89.
The whole frame is heavy with quirky design features which would not look out of place on a far newer bike. The turd rich powder coat that it is currently sporting somehow seems to hide its more interesting touches.

Probably a strange size as it is from before a lot of things got standardised? Or like you say it should have a shim! Raleigh used to make some strange inbetween size headsets, all there stuff was made in-house BITD though so I doubt an American frame would use it!
I don't think it would have been so round if something had been forced in!
It should be fairly easy for someone to knock up a shim on a lathe.
Shame it's the wrong size
It's amazing that there are still bikes out there that most of us haven't heard of!

The above is from the PM.

If you get stuck I might be able to knock something up on the lathe if your in no rush!

Back