Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:39 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 342 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 35  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:02 pm 
Retro Guru

24pouces wrote:
gerryattrick wrote:
WOW! Six pages of views and no significant majority on either side. That must show it doesn't matter either way so stick with whatever method you prefer, it won't make a bit of difference apparently.

It's only my opinion. Perhaps it's idiot but since I've got titanium parts, I grease quite everything with cupper grease.

Copper grease should really only be used in steel on steel applications. Adding a 3rd reactive metal to steel and alloy, or to and alloy can cause problems. For other metals moly based antiseize compound is a less reactive, safer bet.

Last edited by Chopper1192 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:09 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

there's only one thing for it.
a thread poll!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:10 pm 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner

twain wrote:
there's only one thing for it.
a thread poll!!!!!

I like to grease my BB tapers.... but then I also really like to leave them dry

But which is best... there's only one way to find out....

FIGHT :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:42 pm 
Retro Guru

Let's all grease one side and leave the other side dry, then all come back in a year or two with stories of which side worked loose or got seized. Then we can start another debate about Cornwall being more humid than Norfolk or why cycling an anticlockwise circular route daily makes your chainrings fall off.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:44 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

RadNomad wrote:
Let's all grease one side and leave the other side dry, then all come back in a year or two with stories of which side worked loose or got seized. Then we can start another debate about Cornwall being more humid than Norfolk or why cycling an anticlockwise circular route daily makes your chainrings fall off.

An excellent idea about one side greased and not the other.It allows the tests to be carried out in different conditions. Some could grease the drive side whereas others could grease the non drive side. Then theres the usage factor or steady or smooth on road pedaling versus more jerky off road with occasional high torques :?

Can we at least agree to stop using CNC machines,Lathe morse tapers as examples because theyre not the same thing and dont perform under the same conditions or even use the same torques to drive them. :?
You cant compare a truck to a sports car and rule the truck better because it has a more powerful engine.

I think despite the protestations this thread might actually achieve some interesting results. Well, that is if the tests are actually carried out :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:53 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Chopper1192 wrote:
24pouces wrote:
gerryattrick wrote:
WOW! Six pages of views and no significant majority on either side. That must show it doesn't matter either way so stick with whatever method you prefer, it won't make a bit of difference apparently.

It's only my opinion. Perhaps it's idiot but since I've got titanium parts, I grease quite everything with cupper grease.

Copper grease should really only be used in steel on steel applications. Adding a 3rd reactive metal to steel and alloy, or to and alloy can cause problems. For other metals moly based antiseize compound is a less reactive, safer bet.

In all due fairness all the 'high end' Ti parts I've bought have come with their own tube of anti-sieze, and it certainly looks like a copper compound...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:17 pm 
Retro Guru

I only echo what I learned from my degree course. In metallurgy.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:09 pm 
Old School Hero

It's time for some MMA cage fighting otherwise nothing is able to kill this thread.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:12 pm 
Old School Hero

Either that or a Monty Python "Greasing the Tapirs" skit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:31 pm 
Retro Guru

:lol: :facepalm: :idea: :!:

DING DING ROUND ONE

People who don't lube tapers are just lazy or under paid far east workers who don't have time or lube at hand.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 342 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 35  Next