Square taper, grease or not!!!!

dicoverybmw

Retrobike Rider
Was about to fit some new square taper cranks which I have done a few times in the distant past, when I thought do I grease the tapers or not? A quick google search opened a huge can of worms and I am now none the wiser, opinions seem split 50/50 on the subject, anybody any advice???

I've always put a smear of grease, or coppa slip on mine and haven't had any problems, but as you say, it seems impossible to find a definitive answer.

I also put a smear on them. But no more than that. And I think it may be more psychological than practical.

I think because the camp is so divided it proves it doesn't make any difference if you do or not, cleanliness may be more important that lubrication

Nowt wrong with a small spot of copper slip, but I don't think it is essential. Put a tiny touch of thread lock in the crank bolts and I would bet money you wouldnt have a loose crank. My two pence.

agree with just a smear of any lube, even a tiny squirt of WD40. you see, it's more about helping the taper push up tight and bed-in quick. in the same way you may lubricate a spoke thread prior to building a wheel, helps get the nipple tension correct.

No grease, keep it dry, as it is an interference fit. Adding lubrication allows the crank to be pushed on too far damaging the crank tapers, then it is easier for the crank to work loose and become un-usable. Though a quick fix for damaged crank tapers is to hammer the back of the crank pushing material back into the hole, then a liberal amount to permanent threadlock and tighten on as hard as you can but not too hard and with a little luck that will give you a few more years cycling.

I was always told a very slight but of grease just to stop metal to metal binding, almost enough to make it look shiny .

Cheers

Anthony

Back