Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:28 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:59 pm 
BoTM | Gold | PoTM
BoTM | Gold | PoTM

Anyone recommend a cheap postage service to use. I'm putting guestimated size and weight of package and the cheapest seems to be around £100 - does this sound about right?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:57 am 
Retro Guru

Last time I sent a pair, about 8 years ago it was £80 by DHL. It's the volume of the box that dictates the costs, so assuming you've got the smallest box that holds them safely.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:06 am 
Retro Guru

If you want a closer guesstimate on size and weight, I shipped a wheelset in a proper wheelbox yesterday. The dimensions were 30x29x8 inches and it weighed 10 pounds and an 1 ounce.

Not sure about shipping from the UK though - sorry. But from the US to the UK, the cost is about 80USD via USPS.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:17 am 
Retro Guru

I have just been quoted $59 to post a front wheel from the us to uk (it's a nice one tho! :lol: )

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:12 pm 
Old School Hero

I've found courier comparison websites to be excellent. You type in the details of your package and they scan a number of different companies.
I've used the following service that saved an ebay bike purchase from falling through due to the seller not being able to find a cost effective courier of his own:

http://www.myparceldelivery.com

Somebody at work says they have used the following service:

https://www.parcel2go.com/international ... rvice.aspx

Hope this helps

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:24 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

I shipped a pair of chris king bonty racelites to Tasmania and it cost £88 so that sounds about right
Its because the box is bigger than the contents,too much air you see :wink:

My advice is after its packed and sealed ,cover the entire box with Gaffa/duct tape.EVERY square inch.Its not going to increase the price as its the boxes volume that determins the cost and not whats in it unless it weighs significantly more than normal(+ what is normal ? fooked if i know :lol: )
This is good because you can stuff the corners and make sure the wheel is protected if it takes an impact. I made my box so that you laid the wheels in it flat with one side effectively being the lid instead of the usual deep box and you close the top(understand ? :? ) this allows you to put foam around the edges of the box incase its dropped,i find it easier to pack this way,allows to easily fill the voids before taping the side over it all.
The reason for the tape i hear you ask ?
When i sent the wheels i was advised to wrap it this way because the buyer had seen before boxes at the airport, left standing out when it rained and the boxes having no protection simply dissolved, leaving the contents on the runway and massive problems for the receivers :lol: (shouldn't laugh)

:wink: