Who likes precision tools? Get your jealousy hats out...

trail_head

Retro Guru
I was given this today :D
Hozan C737 spoke tension meter. I'm thrilled to be rid of my Park TM-1.
FA969D40-00EE-4D79-83EA-01DFC29C46D2-23137-00002B528433D4FA_zps9a64cb3e.jpg

i thought Park tools were precise... :oops:

nice tension meter.

yes, i love good tools, despise bad tools.

secret_squirrel":2ofi0bp0 said:
For those of us who have never seen one before - how does it work?

there are three contact points - two hook under the spoke and the thrid presses in between them from the other side - the middle point measures the amount of force/deflection which is related to the tension in the spoke. .... or something very close to that.

nice......i have a mild erection!......i bet it causes some frustration though, perfection must be a difficult thing to acheive.........

02gf74":1p7hlqln said:
secret_squirrel":1p7hlqln said:
For those of us who have never seen one before - how does it work?

there are three contact points - two hook under the spoke and the thrid presses in between them from the other side - the middle point measures the amount of force/deflection which is related to the tension in the spoke. .... or something very close to that.

Close but, not quite. You described the p.i.t.a. Park tm1's use. One of the cool things about the Hozon is only the lead end goes under the spoke, the center and handle end stay on top. It's way less fiddly to use; Just hook the tip and tilt down.

feetabix":1pilfvtl said:
nice......i have a mild erection!......i bet it causes some frustration though, perfection must be a difficult thing to acheive.........

Tension meters are a great help in wheel building and repair. Even more so for guys like me who don't do it everyday. With rim brake wheels it's always about a balance between tension and true. On disc brake wheels I love to go full on tension perfection. The front wheel on my trail bike, which is regularly abused, has remained perfect for nearly 5 years now!

Nice - I've got one of these:
tensiometer.jpg

...also definitely better than a Park TM-1. Which isn't bad, but is nowhere near as accurate.

Back