pace elastomer preservation

longun

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
just rebuilt my mxd's with new elastomers, is there anything i can cover the elastomers in to preserve them for a few years???

cheers :D

When I rebuilt my mxcd's the helpful chap at Pace said that repeated compressions (i.e. using the forks) causes the elastomers to get shorter and fatter. The old ones I took out from the forks certainly were relative to the new ones, and I guess eventually that will be what drives their replacement.

A couple of my old ones had started to disintegrate / break down but I figure that must take years and years. Not sure what you can do to slow that process down, but I'd be wary about what substances I'd put into the forks in case it adversely affects the elastomers/seals. :?

cheers for reply, gonna leave them dry then, they'll not get used too much as they're going on the pace,sunny days only lol.

Are they solid elastomer or MCU style (a bit holey)
PACE will tell you what to do, since they supplied them or try Tim?

MCU loose their gases and that causes them to perform sluggish. They don't compress right and do rebound right. Which is pretty much any you see in the for sale section, even the ones classes as good are worn out.

Elastomer I think are a bit more robust but not as nice a spring. Used for all sorts though. Bushings, seals, wheels...
But I know yours are new and nowt to worry about.
What did the instructions say ?

Is the Pace RC7 grease not the stuff to use?? It's recommended for all their forks, including elastomer models.

Do Not use a Lithium based grease though, I know this from experience :facepalm:

Elastomers will break down over time, just like any rubber/petroleum/etc. based products such as seals etc., this is why forks need fairly regular maintenance and oil/seal replacement for e.g. to keep the performance up.

To preserve the elasto best to use Pace RC7 grease which was formulated specifically for their elastomer forks, or Rock Shox Judy Butter if you still have some. Anything else[mostly] will rot the elasto and/or slow the forks performance, especially the Manitou grease which is way too thick for Pace fork systems [but is good for protecting coil springs from rusting].

I bought some new rc35 mx range elastomers, fitted them and a few of them turned to mush. These were supplied direct from pace so unless they had a bad batch or found some very old ones in a corner, co pressing them by hand once can also destroy them. It was a very hit day that I fitted them, so perhaps don't use them in the summer, you might be ok.

Luckily I bought two sets at that time and the second packet weren't made of Brie.

Back