Deore thumbies........

1997BlackC5

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Took my Marin Bear Valley for ride this afternoon, my first bike with 'thumbies'. Mine are set to friction but I notice I can switch them to 'trigger' style shifting ie 1 click & into the next gear. I enjoyed the friction shift as you can fine tune the gear selection. This got me wondering............Of those who have bikes with thumbies, with the option of shift type, what do you run? Friction or trigger?

i always run mine in indexed mode. its just way easier to get the gear shift right, quickly, exactly when you need it. the ability to quickly change to a friction mode is fantastic though.

merckx":sr4qrfiz said:
i always run mine in indexed mode. its just way easier to get the gear shift right, quickly, exactly when you need it. the ability to quickly change to a friction mode is fantastic though.

Ditto...:cool:

Indexed. Friction plus hyperglide cassettes (ramps and machined bits on the cogs to aid shifting) make friction a little too vague, theres no 'clack clack clack' noise and rattles to tell your ears where the chain is in relation to the cassette.

With good thumbies, theres the sound reverbaraiting off the countryside as you click and get ready for the next shift. At least thats how it sounds to me.

Back