Q about Sachs PC91 chain

ibbz

Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Karma King
Dyna-Tech Fan
Feedback
View
I have a Question about the Sachs PC91 Chain, it is a hollow Pin chain 8 speed.

Trouble is, I have no Powerlinks.

Can I buy these powerlinks anywhere?
Do SRAM do them?
Can I buy them from say CRC?

Any links perhaps?

Cheers guys!

PS. I currently have a SRAM PC890 8 Speed Chain on the bike, would the Sachs PC91 be a worthwhile upgrade?

Sachs became part of SRAM. SRAM do pc91 chains. 9 in the 91 means 9 speed. Power links work on many chains and as Sachs=SRAM, I'd imagine they would work.

Damn I have an 8 speed cassette. I thought the pc91 was 8 speed.

Confusingly, the PC91 was in fact an 8-speed chain. You're right that in the present line up, the first digit signifies the number of gears, so the PC830 is a low end 8-speed chain and the PC991 is a high end 9-speed chain. SRAM have used this logical scheme for a good while now, but when the PC91 was the top-line SRAM chain about a decade ago the situation wasn't quite so clear! I suppose they inherited the confusion from their takeover of Sachs and sorted it out later.

The PC-91 will work fine with any SRAM 8-speed powerlink, but not with a 9-speed or 10-speed one. So the link you got with the PC890 will work fine. Any decent LBS should have decent quantities of 8-speed (silver), 9-speed (gold) and 10-speed (black) powerlinks. In my opinion the SRAM powerlink is the best solution on the market for quickly splitting and rejoining a chain. CRC has them all here:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... odelID=871

As for whether the PC91 would be an upgrade over the PC890, well that's in large part dictated by the other components. As I said, the PC91 was the top-line 8-speed chain in its day, so provided it's not too badly worn then it should perform very well. The PC890 is a fine chain, but if it's brand new then it might not be tolerant of wear on the cassette or chainrings. The shifting might be a bit smoother on the 890, but I'd guess that the 91 is lighter, if that's important.

I guess the chain in question is the one I included with the XTR cassette - I don't think that it's excessively worn and it worked very well with the cassette. How it works with the chainrings remains to be seen. I cleaned it very vigorously a while back so would benefit from thorough lubrication. Perhaps soak it in a light lube bath to get it right into the rollers, and wipe all the excess off the exterior parts after.

Cheers,
Gareth.

Thanks gareth. That should mean it'll work great with the power links from the other chain I mentioned?
My only concern was that the other chan and power links are of a slightly different shape to the Sachs chain. The power link would certainly look different from a distance and would most likely work a touch differently too.

Ill include some pics a bit later here to illustrate

Loki":29i9r8li said:
legrandefromage":29i9r8li said:
Psssst! 9spd chains work great on 7/8spd systems

Shhhhhhh!
They also cost $10-20 more for the same grade chain.

but it's handy to know that if you have a spare 9spd chain lying about it can be pressed into service on 7/8spd systems if required. Saves buying a new 7/8spd chain.

Back