Max weight for Ti and Carbon frames

wookiee

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi

Just after a bit of info...is there a max suggested weight for Titanium or Carbon frames? Are they for the more svelte rider and not a 16 stone wookiee!

Interested to hear your thoughts

Wook

Frankly it depends on the frame design. Too thin and it would break for anyone - it's not about the material choice as such.

I was a portly 17.5st when I owned/rode my Seven Sola Ti and it never missed a beat underneath my bulk...

Same for my 91 Litey, McMahon, British eagle carbon pro (Alan frame) and my 1997 giant MCM carbon.

Providing you're not doing jumps and heavy landings I can't see it being a major problem. I've always tried to build light but robust components into my builds, to counter my mass...

GT-Steve":3ginrcvk said:
I was a portly 17.5st when I owned/rode my Seven Sola Ti and it never missed a beat underneath my bulk...

Same for my 91 Litey, McMahon, British eagle carbon pro (Alan frame) and my 1997 giant MCM carbon.

Providing you're not doing jumps and heavy landings I can't see it being a major problem. I've always tried to build light but robust components into my builds, to counter my mass...

Well thats reassuring! Thinking Ti better than carbon for the "heavier set gentleman!"

I was concerned when I was looking around for a Litespeed. Spoke to the Litespeed guys in Chattanooga and they said there was no recommended weight limit on their frames prior to 1997. After that the advised no big boys.

What you after?

Westfailure":3mp5n7oh said:
I was concerned when I was looking around for a Litespeed. Spoke to the Litespeed guys in Chattanooga and they said there was no recommended weight limit on their frames prior to 1997. After that the advised no big boys.

What you after?

Well potentially like you an early Marin Ti or Litespeed maybe...just looking at options...

Maybe just stick with steel, after all if you're being weight weeny, there are far greater savings to be made closer to home. :p

I've lost 35lbs, so my bike would have to weigh -10lbs for a similar saving. :D

My 1kg carbon frame is fine under my heft.

I should add its a mtb too.

The 500g carbon fork is working well too.

My ti Kona was very noodley.

My WCF has been abused, jumped, 6' drop offs onto tarmac etc. I'm 13 stone, but if it could take me abusing it like that, it will take your weight no probs. Safety marks on the frame should mean it's tested way beyond the normal user weight

Back