Judy questions

Logic.Al

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Anyone have any experience of this? Whats best way to strip the paint? Anyone know the best match for Judy Yellow? Would probably be using a rattle can though as Powdercoat can be a bit dodgy on magnesium from reading up and I can't afford to have them painted in LBS.

Re: Repainting Judy's

I did mine blue then red over the years.

If the original paint is ok, flatten it off and use a suitable primer over any bear metal areas. Smooth again.

I put mine on a radiator so the legs were nice and warm then painted them. I left them on a radiator between each coat.

Gave them a t-cut & polish about a week later. Looked lovely for a couple of years.

They look fine. Just have a little bubbling round one of the dropouts. The paint isn't flaking though. Will be stripped down anyway as one of the stanchions has loads of wear on it. I found a nice set of NOS stanchons and steerer (97 forks I think) but they should fit shouldn't they?

I'd just scrape the bubbling off and touch them up if they're fine. The original paint will likely be more durable than spray-tin paint.

i have done a set of judy's in the past, as well as just recently finished up repainting a set of Mag 21 SL legs. i use "aircraft remover", to strip the old paint off, seems to not harm the magnesium. stuff is pretty harsh, so be careful. they mean what they say on the can...

i also use rattle can paints, they come out pretty decent for the money. use lots of clear on top too.

I saw something somewhere about frankenforks and combining a set of SIDs and Judy's. What are the internals on a set of SIDs? Could I make a set of Air sprung Judy SL's without an air cartridge?

interesting you bring that point up, as i do have a set of judy/sid hybrid on my bike now. it is a 1st gen (?) sid crown/steerer/sliders, mated to my judy sl lowers. the internals are all judy (cartridge etc..) with mountain speed springs. works like a champ. ill get some pics of it tonight.

lowntegra":2xnwnu3a said:
interesting you bring that point up, as i do have a set of judy/sid hybrid on my bike now. it is a 1st gen (?) sid crown/steerer/sliders, mated to my judy sl lowers. the internals are all judy (cartridge etc..) with mountain speed springs. works like a champ. ill get some pics of it tonight.

Ahh I'd want to do it the other way round. So Air using SID inners on Judy lowers.

Use a decent brush-on paint stripper then a professional automotive (rattle-can) etching primer, both available for a good price on eBay...

Back