Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:01 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:20 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:46 pm
Posts: 46
Yeah I've read about the 2:1 warning, does that mean 2:1 in direct drive?

Ductape what's the OLD on the 3 speed you have there, or is that one of the modern SA offerings? But that's essentially what I'm thinking about trying, well that or a 3 speed 700c monstercross bike :P.

is it just a question of getting enough threads engaged with the axle nuts or does the axle length play a part in the indexing with the indicator chain (I know these are particular to the axle length) and the bevelled nut the chain passes through?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:54 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:38 pm
Posts: 1439
Location: OZ
A.D.R wrote:
Yeah I've read about the 2:1 warning, does that mean 2:1 in direct drive?

Ductape what's the OLD on the 3 speed you have there, or is that one of the modern SA offerings? But that's essentially what I'm thinking about trying, well that or a 3 speed 700c monstercross bike :P.

is it just a question of getting enough threads engaged with the axle nuts or does the axle length play a part in the indexing with the indicator chain (I know these are particular to the axle length) and the bevelled nut the chain passes through?



Its 2:1 chainring to cog- ie with a 40t ring no bigger than 20t cog.

As long as you can physically tighten the wheel nuts it'll work fine. The "indexing" is adjusted with the tension of the gear cable- should be about a mm of the indicator rod end out the end of the axle showing in 2nd gear...

Andy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:32 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:46 pm
Posts: 46
I'll dig out my box of SA nuts and washers and space out a hub to 135mm then trial fit it with wheelnuts as soon as the weather fairs up, right now most parts of Angus are under 3 inches of snow :( and my box of bits (can't really call it a parts bin yet) is right at the back of the shed.

I'll try and get some pics too.

And are SA hub brakes that bad? Postie bikes use them, and their carrying a fair load at times.

Andy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:42 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:38 pm
Posts: 1439
Location: OZ
A.D.R wrote:
I'll dig out my box of SA nuts and washers and space out a hub to 135mm then trial fit it with wheelnuts as soon as the weather fairs up, right now most parts of Angus are under 3 inches of snow :( and my box of bits (can't really call it a parts bin yet) is right at the back of the shed.

I'll try and get some pics too.

And are SA hub brakes that bad? Postie bikes use them, and their carrying a fair load at times.

Andy


Unless you have a longer axle it wont work sadly. 135mm dropout width plus say 5mm dropouts plus probably 8mm each side for nut = 161mm.......


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:58 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:46 pm
Posts: 46
Quote:
Unless you have a longer axle it wont work sadly. 135mm dropout width plus say 5mm dropouts plus probably 8mm each side for nut = 161mm.......


Seems I was talking out of my posterior when I said it had an axle length of 154mm remeasured it again and as near as I can tell measuring it in the hub and eyeballing it it looks like its actually 163mm :D

I'll hopefully get a chance to test fit one in the frame at the weekend

Andy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:17 am 
Dirt Disciple

Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:46 pm
Posts: 46
Bit of a gap between posts here but not had much time to post recently.

I've been considering FatFixies comment that the AB Brake is lacking in performance, so If I got the shell of an AW hub could I transplant the AB internals?

Andy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:34 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:38 pm
Posts: 1439
Location: OZ
A.D.R wrote:
Bit of a gap between posts here but not had much time to post recently.

I've been considering FatFixies comment that the AB Brake is lacking in performance, so If I got the shell of an AW hub could I transplant the AB internals?

Andy


From memory no. The lower planet cage will be narrower than a std aw so would not work.

Andy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:43 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:46 pm
Posts: 46
Thanks for the reply. Any idea what the value of a AB hub would be? Thinking of selling the ones I have, I have the BF front hub too mostly both built up in endrick roadster style 650b rims, Would I get more selling these as sets, complete wheels or just hubs? (If this questions in the wrong area let me know and I'll edit it into a new post )

Andy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:46 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:38 pm
Posts: 1439
Location: OZ
A.D.R wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Any idea what the value of a AB hub would be? Thinking of selling the ones I have, I have the BF front hub too mostly both built up in endrick roadster style 650b rims, Would I get more selling these as sets, complete wheels or just hubs? (If this questions in the wrong area let me know and I'll edit it into a new post )

Andy



TBH i don't think they'd be worth a huge amount in any configuration. maybe the ctc forums might be the best way to guage interest?

Andy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:15 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:46 pm
Posts: 46
Would the axles be interchangeable between the AW and the AB? Alright I think thats the last question for now :) gonna have to think about a couple things as well as the three speed conversion, drop bars and 700c wheels amongst other things.

Cheers

Andy


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Fudd, Gaddmeister, Jamis Diablo, longun, Tob and 43 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group