Colour matched forks

ti-fat-man

Senior Retro Guru
Has anyone here gone down the route of colour matching their forks?
I'm thinking of trying to have some Rock Shox Judy lowers sprayed to match the frame.
I've seen it done loads of times, but can't think where to go with such a request.
Kinda think that the local garage/workshop will think that i'm a bit wet when I go in with a set of fork lowers and a Fat Chance catalogue!!
Cheers can anyone help?
ps looking on the gallery at the last meet, the powder blue yeti has colour matched forks, it's that sorta thing.

Alan,

Color matching sus forks to your frame is difficult if both are not sprayed at the same time. Wear, UV light, simple changes in formula for the color mix, and variance in application all are factors adding to the challenge.

Start off by getting the RAL code for the original color. This is a world standard code for the color that all manufactuers recognize. Go to a well respected paint shop for the work and take the frame with you...this will allow the painter to play with the mix until he gets a shade that will match the best.

Have the forks taken apart, seals out, stripped and glass beaded, and finally, have spare bolts in the holes or be ready to tap them out upon completion. Mask the upper stantion openings from the inside. Finally, and probably most important, tell the painter that the legs are Magnesium and that he will need to use an out gassing specific primer. If you forget, you will have unsightly bubbles develop during drying.

Good luck!

rody

I have painted the forks on my yeti , the same colour as the frame .

It is a can job , so not perfect .

maybe thats one i could help with ........

my brother in law is a rep for one of the main powdercoat suppliers over here

and he has all the RAL no`s for every colour you can get , as well as colour match card things

only trouble is would need the original paint to match / sample against

unless its a really unique one

thats how i can get frame done any colour i want , he orders them in as sample for customer and gets enough for about 10 frames in one go :D

Argos Racing Cycles will spray a pair of suspension fork lowers for £50 if you strip them down, plus a little more for mixing a custom colour. Seems a little expensive on it's own, but will add a touch of class if done at the same time as a frame - hopefully watch this space to see this in action :D

try bob jackson cycles in leeds.
they will do fork lowers for a lot less than £50.
first class resprays as well.

Back