Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:57 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 348 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 35  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:08 pm 
Retro Guru

It's my opinion that you ought to dress the frame in the kit that best suits it for your particular application. My entire stable consists of retro steeds retrofitted with newer equipment. A lot of older model frames were held back by the kit available at the time of their release.

I'm not suggesting you fit a 140mm tavel suspension fork to you 1988 Stumpjumper, but a lot of early 90's fully rigid hardtails benefit nicely from the addition of a 80mm suspension fork. Likewise with the additon of v-brakes or rapidfire shifters.

That Breezer frame will never stop being an excellent retro example of beautiful high-end bikes of it's time. As for the rest of the kit, you ought to build it out exactly how you want it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:09 am 
Dirt Disciple

Howdie folks, for those who don’t know me, I’m Michael Bonney, PR/Communications/marketing and product at Orange Mountain Bikes. Been at Orange since 94, prior to that I was heavily involved with the NEMBA race series, organiser of the Hamsterley round and PR and Sponsorship for NEMBA along with Brant.

Work means I end up riding a prototype most of the time and I’ve got so many bikes I no longer have space for collecting old ones :) Luckily work also allows me to keep some real rare exotica, I’ve kept almost all the models Orange have made since I started including quite a few one offs and protos some of which are now displayed in the room I use for presentations.

Been around MTB forums for far too long, an original member of the old CIX compulink group along with Tym Manley, Steve Behr, Carlton, Chipps and Brant.

Looking forward to joining in here, it’ll be nice to have a place to visit where I can reminisce without work interfering , don’t mind answering questions on old Orange models but if its up to date stuff, work related please accept that this is my time away from work not an extension of it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:30 am 
Mr Darcy
Mr Darcy

Welcome Michael!

Sure your knowledge will be useful :) Not much chance of modern stuff here, think your safe..

..anyway, do you have any of the old black custom Formulas you want to sell? :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:08 pm 
Dirt Disciple

... and just like to say hello

I started riding the woods in 1986 and still having a blast doing it
(Oh yes that too)

here are two of my older rigs

both well used

Regards

Martin

Attachments:
ATi_1.JPG
ATi_1.JPG [ 94.1 KiB | Viewed 1496 times ]
RoadLogic.jpg
RoadLogic.jpg [ 141.65 KiB | Viewed 1496 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:49 pm 
Retro Guru

michael@orange wrote:
Howdie folks, for those who don’t know me, I’m Michael Bonney, PR/Communications/marketing and product at Orange Mountain Bikes. Been at Orange since 94, prior to that I was heavily involved with the NEMBA race series, organiser of the Hamsterley round and PR and Sponsorship for NEMBA along with Brant.

Work means I end up riding a prototype most of the time and I’ve got so many bikes I no longer have space for collecting old ones :) Luckily work also allows me to keep some real rare exotica, I’ve kept almost all the models Orange have made since I started including quite a few one offs and protos some of which are now displayed in the room I use for presentations.

Been around MTB forums for far too long, an original member of the old CIX compulink group along with Tym Manley, Steve Behr, Carlton, Chipps and Brant.

Looking forward to joining in here, it’ll be nice to have a place to visit where I can reminisce without work interfering , don’t mind answering questions on old Orange models but if its up to date stuff, work related please accept that this is my time away from work not an extension of it :)

Welcome Michael.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:54 pm 
Old School Grand Master

[quote="michael@orange"]
Work means I end up riding a prototype most of the time quote]

"strange" huh ;) <sssshhhhh>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:09 pm 
BoTM Winner
BoTM Winner

That serotta is gorgeous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:49 pm 
Retro Guru

Hi Michael - loving your work :wink:

Hello freakforti, those look spot on :)

Last edited by JS1500 on Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:26 pm 
Dirt Disciple

scant wrote:
michael@orange wrote:
Work means I end up riding a prototype most of the time quote]

"strange" huh ;) <sssshhhhh>

very strange this week as it happens :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:29 pm 
Dirt Disciple

JS1500 wrote:
Hi Micheal - loving your work :wink:

thanks, its nice to have a bit of freedom to do "special" projects and know there are those out there that appreciate it :)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 348 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 35  Next