Newbies..what to do when you want to sell ..an idiots guide

sylus

Old School Grand Master
Often we get newbies join us just to sell or join then want to sell and it takes some time to see hows it's done here and it often helps if you read the forum rules and see where things should go first.

So I thought I'd do a help guide for dummies for sales..... I'm happy to ammend any part of it

You have an bike for sale so what do YOU need to do?

Firstly find out what you have..this will decide wether it goes in the <----97 section or the 98----> section.....in here in the chat section is a good place to start and ask "what is my bike"

Then when your bike is identified or you know what bike you have, what do you do next?

Well the next obvious question is "what is it worth" ....Now, if you put some work in yourself in by looking through the sale section for bikes that have sold/currently advertised/ebay completed sales/local media sales then you should have an idea.

If you don't have an idea you have two choices

The first is you create an advert in the correct sale section, add pictures and a description including sizes,the kit fitted on it etc AND YOU MUST INCLUDE A PRICE..this isn't ebay. They will lock your thread if no price is attached ..if your own price is right it might sell..if it's priced wrong you can always ammend it later ....now put it into the right section

For bikes 97 and older it goes here viewforum.php?f=2 and for 98 and newer it goes here viewforum.php?f=39

Now say you don't have an idea ...we have threads in the two different mtb sections to help you with a best guesstimate. Condition, age,model and pictures are incredibly helpfull in order to help you

For 97 and before bikes this is the one you want ... viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29681&start=4050

and for 98 and onwards... viewtopic.php?f=41&t=140396&start=255

Once you have a price ... find the right age section and do a full advert with pictures AND A PRICE

Now I hope that helps you and your sale but remember some golden rules

Being old doesn't always mean it's worth a lot..ask my mrs.....condition and parts fitted vary the prices quite a bit.....offering shipping increases your market...if the parts are rare then breaking and selling parts individually may give you a higher return than a complete bike

Beyond that the chat sections are there to help and I hope your sale goes well

Re: Newbies..what to do when you want to sell ..an idiots gu

Good call! We were all new to hear once and a bit of friendly guidance can prevent frustrated comments from seasoned retrobikers!

Wook

I still don't get it? :?

;) :LOL:

Brilliant...

..although this thread is useless if it's not seen and read. :xmas-big-grin:

whats this worth it must be wurth a lot cos its old and it must be worth £200?

blurry-bike.jpg

Also, remember to say what size and type things are. Frame size, fork size and type, steerer length, stem length, headset size, crank length etc. It's amazing how many ads don't include really crucial info like that.

My_Teenage_Self":3f2o1kwa said:

blurry-bike.jpg

That looks like my eyesight this morning after the superbowl yesterday

My_Teenage_Self":2ddr212j said:

Actually that's a Raleigh XP-1s53nb with the double top tube. The frame was made from a mixture of Unobtanium and unicorn hooves, welded by a fairy and then 77 Eunuchs would blow cool air onto it for precisely 1h32m58s to cool it down.
Only 3 were ever made and none are believed to be in existence today.

If you sell it, I'd suggest a starting price of at least £ 7.500

Raging_Bulls":1w5k44x5 said:
My_Teenage_Self":1w5k44x5 said:

Actually that's a Raleigh XP-1s53nb with the double top tube. The frame was made from a mixture of Unobtanium and unicorn hooves, welded by a fairy and then 77 Eunuchs would blow cool air onto it for precisely 1h32m58s to cool it down.
Only 3 were ever made and none are believed to be in existence today.

If you sell it, I'd suggest a starting price of at least £ 7.500
I actually (nearly) pi$$ed myself laughing at the unicorn hooves, I think I have just had an anurisim (whatever they are)

Back