Plastic spoke protectors...with Poll

Cool or not cool!

• Plastic spoke protectors should remain for originality!

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Plastic spoke protectors look cack and should be removed immediately!

Votes: 22 88.0%

• Total voters

wookiee

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Just wondering what peoples thoughts were about the circular plastic spoke protector, that sits between the cassette and hub. Are they worth having and can save you from wrecking a wheel or even yourself!? Or does the look of the cheap plastic ruin a nice wheel and get it outta here! Personally I'm none to keen on the look of them, and wonder that if you have correctly set up an indexed rear mech, then it shouldn't be needed anyway!

Thoughts, opinions...

Wook

Re: Plastic spoke protectors...with or without?

think you've pretty much covered it, all down to personal preference unless going for complete originality then you can add the nice wheel reflectors it came with as well :D

They have their use ... for people who just don't care about their bike or its maintenance. Most people here won't need them because our bikes are usually maintained and have everything properly adjusted.

If you do not already hate these miserable Frisbees...learn to! Of course, it IS all down to personal taste -but some things are just plain WRONG!

(New here, -hi everybody, etc. Just had to get this in because I dislike these things so much. They are the work of the Dark One. Ughh. Arghh. Kill it. KILL IT!!! WITH FIRE!!!!!)

Awful things, though I can imagine there to be a market for the old alloy ones.

Suntour1.jpg

I hated them BITD and my first job was to remove them. However, on some of my collection they do have them, and the wheel reflectors too. Why? Because it's period correct, and as per original spec. They have their place, and I no longer hate them.

N/B":229cvfho said:
Awful things, though I can imagine there to be a market for the old alloy ones.

Suntour1.jpg

these just show up the dirt thats accumulated on your chain and cassette! :p

Even if I was a catalogue correct, period correct enthusiast I'd still get rid of the abominable thing.

Bin Bin Bin Bin Bin. Horrible plastic things! (I personally can not stand them!)

oh those things, the plastic ones usually end up cracking or breaking anyway :LOL:

Back