What to do with my Kona explosif pro

assti

Retro Newbie
Hi, can I just start by saying this is my first post so hopefully it is in the correct place.
I used to be really into my mountain biking and as a teenager bought myself a 1992 Kona explosif pro. This was always a good bike but after I got interested in cars it was just put up at the back of my garage not used.

This was until last year when I got it out again gave it a quick service and it rode as well as ever.

Now after getting back into my mountain biking I have decided the bike in its original condition isn't up to the tracks I have started riding. So trying to decide what to do.

As I see it the options I have are:

. New forks, components etc for the Kona to try and bring it up to the spec that would be ok with the rough tracks I enjoy riding.

. Keep it all original and try to spend my money on another bike for off road and keep the Kona for more road riding.

. Sell it to put the money towards a new bike that has been built for the spec I'm after.

Really unsure what to do as unsure the exact value of the bike?? A few scratches but nothing major, What do we think she may be worth??

Will modifying the bike with modern components Take away from the Kona??

Will a new bike (can't afford an expensive one) be as good as my 20 year old Kona??

Any thoughts or comments will be much appreciated. (hope this all makes sense lol).

I think you'd find if you were 21 years younger you wouldn't be facing this 'dilemma?' ;)

Though I have to admit that after years of denial I've finally embraced suspension; now have RST Mozo Pro's and a U.S.E bouncy seatpost on my Explosif, and I've just fitted discs!

Old bikes just seem 'nicer' and you get more for you money with a Retro... :cool:

Oil it, regrease it, but keep it as original as possible - its one hell of a bike s it is and will be a joy to ride. You don't need another bike. Id take that over modern bike any day! ( but Im just an old dude!!)

Ahh yes i'm wrestling with similar quandary. Bought a '90s Hei Hei to build up as a 'modernized retro' for rough XC use to avoid spoiling or modifying my mint original LavaDome.
I intended fitting modern suspension forks up front with XT disc, and Magura hydro rim brake at the rear. Now having second thoughts over mixing disc and rim brakes. Would perform fine but maybe looks unbalanced somehow? I thought i was building a retro-rocket and something interesting / different but now i'm wondering if it will just be a weird mongrel? I'm unwilling to bodge disc mount to a titanium hardtail so full discs is no option. Can't seem to get decent new forks for rim brakes. So now i'm stuck not sure which way to go.

As for your Explosif, i'd recommend suspension forks if you're 40+ and riding rough trails - better on the wrists - but the hardtail back end is no problem. Been riding my rigid LavaDome on rough singletrack and while great fun, the shaking gets a bit much after a while. If you find the right forks, let me know! thanks!

Got to find a solution as retro is definately the way to go. A new cookie-cutter aluminium mtb probably makes more sense, but what's sense got to do with it? :LOL:

Don't mess with it!

Get a modern bike if you want shocks, discs etc and keep the kona for special rides

a lot has changed in 21 years. if the frame was not designed for suspension forks, then don't mess. keep it original or sell..... and if it is unsuitable for your type of riding and has little sentimental value, then sell. it will contribute to a newer bike but don't expect it to fetch millions of pounds.

The 1992 Explosif wasn't designed for suspension forks, so if you fitted suspension you would be best to stick to a short travel one. The Pace RC35 is the best available - 45mm travel and serviceable by Fork English, who posts as justbackdated on this website. This will give you some suspension and yet retain most of the steering sharpness that you get with the Project 2.

If you feel a need for more travel than that, you would be better off with a 'suspension-adjusted' frame, e.g., a Kona from 94 onwards. Most makes had gone suspension-adjusted by the mid 90s.

Like many things in life, the decider is probably "how much do you want to spend?" If you've a grand spare, then my view would be a good second hand hard tail (or full bouncer if you find a bargain) and keep the Kona for gentler duties.

If only half that in the budget, then sell the Kona to boost the kitty.

If only a few '00 quids, then the best short travel fork you can find for the Kona - and ride according to its capabilities!

I have a 92 Explosif and have just took off my Z1 Bombers, sourced some p2's and will be fitting them once I sort out the paint. Mind I don't really need susp for what I ride and I also don't like that you can't lock out Z1's and you seem to loose a bit of power as the front compresses slightly.

How rough is the terrain that you will be riding? Are you really be wanting to ride off huge drop off's and the like? If so I would have thought a newer bike with susp front and back would a better option and if funds allow keep the explosif for quick blasts along fire roads and canals etc.

Back