Hope C2 Issues

Wylie

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi Guys, Bought a pair of C2's on ebay and they are in alot worse shape than the sellers msg made out. both calipers are semi seized and one of the bite point adjusters seems very tight (had to use a adjustable spanner). I'm generally pretty miffed, after asking specifically if the pistons/seals were all good.

I'm in two minds whether to just ask for a refund?, or (with a little help from u guys) ...open them up and see what can be done.

Don't piss about; get your money back. C2s in good working condition can be had for £50 ish, and some parts are hard to find.
I've bought at least half a dozen C2 pairs in my time. Only two were any good.

suburbanreuben":r48dektq said:
Don't piss about; get your money back. C2s in good working condition can be had for £50 ish, and some parts are hard to find.
I've bought at least half a dozen C2 pairs in my time. Only two were any good.
...yeh, i bought them for £46 -postage too :evil: if i'd known the state they were in, my bid would prob have been considerably lower.

I would ask for a refund as the ad clearly says they are working and the pad adjusters are fine.

I had a set of these on my Gt Lobo and whilst they had to be maintained regularly they were good brakes.

Verygood brakes. So good in fact I fitted them to a 2009 bike as an upgrade!
But they can be bought very cheaply, I paid £15 on here for a perfectly useable rear and was karma'd the front.

I would try for a refund, if he doesn't play ball, by all means start a case but failing that try and get a discount of some kind and rebuild em.
Once you have the m/c cap off the adjuster is easy to free off, it's probably caused by water ingress. A flush through and maybe some seals and you'll be all good.

Some great food for thought guys. if i go down the "rebuild" route, will i need a "pin spanner" - to remove the pistons? ...if so what size? and would my LBS prob have one to use/buy? Also, if once unscrewed, the pistons are still stubborn - is the trackstand pump method safe to use?

I'm thinking i might be able to take them apart and see if the pistons/seals are all good before i go down the refund route.

bren":2d7b8c12 said:
But they can be bought very cheaply, I paid £15 on here for a perfectly useable rear and was karma'd the front.
Now that's just rubbing it in :roll:
Your in Wylies naughty corner ...for a week :p

The pistons screw in to the caliper, a trackpump will get you nowhere. You can buy the seals but the pistons are no longer produced and are a beast to find. If you do find them they cost about £8 or £9 each so it could become an expensive repair.

Back