Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:12 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:15 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:24 am
Posts: 7563
Location: Manchester
Anthony wrote:
Thanks, that goes back to what I thought originally - i.e. that the outside of bb sizing applied only to 91 and 92. So this is a 1990 size 18, sized c-t, and with the top tube and wheelbase both half an inch shorter than subsequently, but with slightly longer stems to compensate.

I think lots of makes used Shimano dropouts at that time, didn't they?


Surely it's a 16" 1990 from the top tube length?

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/Manufacturer+Archive/Kona/Catalogues/Kona+Catalogue+1990/6.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

It rides like a much bigger bike though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:17 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:22 pm
Posts: 7306
Location: Hove
Rampage wrote:
Surely it's a 16" 1990 from the top tube length?
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/Manufacturer+Archive/Kona/Catalogues/Kona+Catalogue+1990/6.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1
It rides like a much bigger bike though.

The catalogue figure will have been a horizontal measure, but I assumed that you took your measurement along the tube?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:40 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:24 am
Posts: 7563
Location: Manchester
Anthony wrote:
Rampage wrote:
Surely it's a 16" 1990 from the top tube length?
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/Manufacturer+Archive/Kona/Catalogues/Kona+Catalogue+1990/6.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1
It rides like a much bigger bike though.

The catalogue figure will have been a horizontal measure, but I assumed that you took your measurement along the tube?


Oh I see. It was 21.5" from centre - centre along the tube, yes.

Are these Kona bars does anyone think?
150g, 1.3mm wall thickness. 560mm long, holes in end. Possibly was anodized green when new.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:17 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:18 pm
Posts: 1515
Location: South Yorkshire
Rampage wrote:
tube, yes.

Are these Kona bars does anyone think?
150g, 1.3mm wall thickness. 560mm long, holes in end. Possibly was anodized green when new.

Image


Are there two holes in each end opposite each other? Could it be a U.S.E bar that took the bolt-on bar ends?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:57 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:24 am
Posts: 7563
Location: Manchester
Yes, it's that sort of thing.
Could be USE, did they do green anodized ones?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:57 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:18 pm
Posts: 1515
Location: South Yorkshire
I can't remember if they did green but they did do anodized versions, I have been trying to find pictures but without any luck.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:39 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:24 am
Posts: 7563
Location: Manchester
I think your right, with the holes and the shim.
I was hoping they were the Ti Kona bars based on the weight (exactly right for the Kona ones) but an electrical test proved they were anodized aluminium.
Still nice bars though :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:57 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:24 am
Posts: 7563
Location: Manchester
It's too small :(
Looking to swap for a similar Explosif or newer but in a bigger size.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 24pouces, Google [Bot], secret_squirrel, Thias, WandsworthRouleur and 27 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group