Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:22 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:18 am 
Dirt Disciple

Thank you,
@Pyro Tim you can see In the photo where I found them.
What do you think about the WCF fork? I think is a Marzocchi XCR oil air
The 6.0 has a Manitou 5, I think a good fork
The Apex seems to bee all original
The WCF seems to have different wheel, isn't it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:33 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

The fork on the Vertex looks to have collapsed, and may or may not take work to sort, I'm no expert on forks though I'm afraid. The Man 5 I think is original spec for the 6.0, and is a good fork. I'm just changing mine on the 4.0 to Pace RC35s from Indy S

It does appear that the Vertex has non matching rims, but again this may not be an issue. I folded the front wheel on my 4.0 landing a 6' drop off. Admittedly I did this drop off every day for 5 months before the front wheel collapsed on me. It resulted in a dislocated shoulder and new skin, helmet and clothes. The frame is still going strong though.

I think the Axis is 94, the WCF Vertex 95 and the WCF 6.0 96

The Axis didn't come with Gripshit though, so you'd need to get the M737/8? lever combo.

I've also noticed that they don't seem to all be the same size, so that may be an issue. The Vertex looks smaller, maybe 17", the 6.0 looks to be around 19", and the same for the Axis. Maybe wrong on sizes, but the Vertex is smaller

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:24 am 
Retro Guru

Axis TT lite for me.

DiamondBacks were all steel as far as I'm concerned (Titanium aside)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:42 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

ooops, :oops: just noticed it's an Apex, not the Axis. Still good, and still I think 94.

94 Apex
http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=1994&Brand=Diamondback&Model=Apex&Type=bike#.UOlUSnd3lc4

95 Vertex
http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=1995&Brand=Diamondback&Model=WCF+Vertex&Type=bike#.UOlU3Xd3lc4

96 6.0
http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=1996&Brand=Diamondback&Model=WCF+6.0&Type=bike#.UOlU_nd3lc4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:50 pm 
Dirt Disciple

@Pyro Tim
What is the difference between Axis and Apex?
Is something about frame geometry or only the components?
The Apex I found is all equipped with xt for the r and f derailleur and crankset lx
For the size the Apex and the WCF are M and the 6.0 I don't know. If you look you can see that the point between top and seat tube is lower than the rear wheel top. They looks to be the same size don't you think so?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:06 pm 
Special Retro Guru
Special Retro Guru

mdonald wrote:
@Pyro Tim
What is the difference between Axis and Apex?
Is something about frame geometry or only the components?
The Apex I found is all equipped with xt for the r and f derailleur and crankset lx
For the size the Apex and the WCF are M and the 6.0 I don't know. If you look you can see that the point between top and seat tube is lower than the rear wheel top. They looks to be the same size don't you think so?

In 94 and 95 the Apex and Axis frame and forks was the same (96 the Apex returned to AVR tubing, then back to TT-Lite in 97) TT-Lite frame, and (Spinner) forks.

So in 94 and 95, the difference between the Apex and Axis was kit, and that'll be £300 sir.

There were titanium model Axis in those years, too - but the standard Axis had TT-Lite tubing (although in 97, the Axis had an alternate frameset for the US market).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:11 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

looking again, I think the Apex and the Vertex are the same size, but the 6.0 bigger. It's the angle between top and downtubes on the headtube, as well as height above rear wheel.

What Neil said on the frames. Axis was XT throughout

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:04 pm 
Retro Guru

Quote:
all WCF frames were the same, it was the components that differentiated the models

great riding bikes.

No, they're not.

There's your WCF1 as pictured and your WCF2 with the fatter tubes......personally my choice is the WCF1, rides better than any of the others (stell, Ti, Alu whatever) albeit by a fine margin 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:08 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

The Vertex is the earlier, and by the pics, looks fatter, but I think that's because it is smaller. I don't believe there is any difference between them other than parts. Not that I've ridden the Vertex, I have studied pictures, as nearly bought one not long ago

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:28 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

jango wrote:
Quote:
all WCF frames were the same, it was the components that differentiated the models

great riding bikes.

No, they're not.

There's your WCF1 as pictured and your WCF2 with the fatter tubes......personally my choice is the WCF1, rides better than any of the others (stell, Ti, Alu whatever) albeit by a fine margin 8)

I was thinking in terms of up and down the range. I'd forgotten the first generation ones.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next