Sectioned Rim: Wear guide

Splatter Paint

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
My 16 year old Mavics 138s finally failed cycling to work today, a 16" section of sidewall sheared off the rear rim and got wedged in the frame. The tube popped with an almightly bang :shock: I use the same bike for my son's bike seat, it could have been a nasty accident had he been on the back :(

Here's a shot of the sectioned rim, if other folk have failed rims can you post pictures of them them up too? It'll be a good warning to all!

SP

Attachments

• Mavic_138_Rim.JPG
    Mavic_138_Rim.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 826
I've stopped riding my Cannondale very recently for this reason. They make me v.nervous now. Wish Mavic still did a CD grey 26" rim with a grey braking surface.

it is the scariest bang when they go isn't...
its one of those things that yuo don't think about, but really should, and scares me about old bikes in general, you nevr know sometimes when a part is going to break...

Every now and again, put a ruler or other straight edge across the braking surface and estimate how deeply concave it is. Bear in mind that it was c1.7mm thick when it was new, so if it's now c1mm concave it means you've only got 0.7mm left. Then it becomes a battle between your deep inner cheapskate and your basic instinct for survival.

if you can see the tyre as it is inflated under pressure push the top of the rim outwards, then it is time to replace.

BTW- it could have been worse - cyclist have been cut quite badly with flailing rims - think Boudicca's chariot.

Boudicca2.jpg

My wife blew the side off her rear Mavic 217 this morning...still, 16 years for a rim is not bad going!

Fortunately the braking surface lifted off gracefully for about 100mm, nothing dramatic.

Latest posts

Back