HELP restoring Rocky Mountain

Old School MTN BKR

Dirt Disciple
Hi friends!

I´m a mountain biker from Brazil and I´m a great fan of old school mountain bikes.

My dad give me a Rocky Mountain steel frame, size 20,5 and I want to restore it to it´s original condition. But I need help!

Here´s a picture of my frame:

rocky008sy6.jpg

The frame number is 9050012, but I don´t know if it is a Blizzard or a Hammer.

rocky009kk4.jpg

We can see a "DRR" letters on the head tube:

rocky012ne9.jpg

Rocky Mountain dropouts:

rocky010ew6.jpg

Here´s a shot of the rear triangle:

rocky011dp9.jpg

I want to know if anyone can identify what model is it and what is the correct paint scheme and decal set.

All I know is that this is a very light and strong frame made of Reynolds tubes.

Can you help me?

Thanks for your attention.

What a dad! That's a really nice frame, looks more like a Blizzard than a Hammer to me, maybe around 97/98, but I would suggest you ask Rocky Mountain what year/model your frame number is for. You need to contact them via your local distributor, which sounds like a complicated system, but it seems to work pretty well.

Hopefully they will tell you that it is from one of the years for which catalogues have been preserved, so you will be able to see what the original colour scheme etc was.
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/mai ... emId=15373

Best of luck

I would post that on MTBR Vintage Retro Classic Forums.

There's a member named DeeEight over there who seems to know alot about old Rockys.

Anthony":386cyj34 said:
What a dad! That's a really nice frame, looks more like a Blizzard than a Hammer to me, maybe around 97/98, but I would suggest you ask Rocky Mountain what year/model your frame number is for. You need to contact them via your local distributor, which sounds like a complicated system, but it seems to work pretty well.

Hopefully they will tell you that it is from one of the years for which catalogues have been preserved, so you will be able to see what the original colour scheme etc was.
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/mai ... emId=15373

Best of luck

Trouble is that Rocky Mountain doesn´t have a local distributor in Brazil since the early 2000´s.

I tried to contact Rocky Mountain, but they just don´t answer my e-mails.

Ameybrook, thanks for your idea, I´m going to post on the MTBR Vintage Retro Classic Forums.

And my apologies for hosting the images on ImageShack, I tried to create an album here, but it simple doesn´t work... :cry:

I have a 98 Blizzard with Ritchey dropouts - my wife's 98 Hammer has the Rocky Mountain dropouts as pictured on your frame.
If what you have is a Blizzard, it would have to be after 1998, I believe that is the last year they used Ritchey tubing for the frames.

cdngrimpeur":3qj4u7cx said:
I have a 98 Blizzard with Ritchey dropouts - my wife's 98 Hammer has the Rocky Mountain dropouts as pictured on your frame.
If what you have is a Blizzard, it would have to be after 1998, I believe that is the last year they used Ritchey tubing for the frames.

My 2002 Element TSc has frame number 2002010319. My guess is that this means that it was the 319th of model number 01 to be made for 2002. If so and following that formula, OSMB's frame number 9050012 could mean that it was the 12th of model number 05 to be made for 1999.

What is the frame number of your Blizzard then Grimpeur? Does it have an 05 in it?

cdngrimpeur":34vrlltj said:
My Blizzard is ser no B97071449. Wifey's Hammer is B98080406. Both stamped on the bottom bracket.

Hmmm, the plot thickens! My number is on the underneath side of the bottom bracket shell also, so it's a little surprising that OSMB's number is on the back of the seat tube. And if a Blizzard is an 07 and a Hammer is an 08, what can a 05 be?

If Gump is following this, could he perhaps tell us the frame numbers of his collection of Altitudes?

Back