Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:39 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:26 pm 
Retro Guru

Anybody on here shipped over a bike from the states?
How easy was it? Would you trust a seller with only a score of 10 (allthough 100%) I know paypal will protect about £115, but I reckon this purchase will be substantially more. If I win, is there any other way to protect myself?
Any feedback and advice really appreciated!
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:34 pm 
Retro Guru

I've won frames - nice and easy. Shipping was about $60-100 depending on the seller and the shipping method, and the goods arrived in anything from 1-3 weeks. Be aware of import duty and customs charges - on a complete bike this is (IIRC) 12.9% for the duty then 17.5% on everything including the duty for the VAT.

Bikes are more of a hassle. You're better off getting it shipped in two boxes, so it'll be $150-200ish, as this is usually cheaper. Again, that means you can declare two boxes of bike components at only 5.4% duty - double saving.

I'd trust the seller, you've got to in this process. PayPal will protect for £500/ $500. Ask them a few questions, see if you can get a fuller opinion from anyone who has left them feedback.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:53 pm 
Retro Guru

Thanks, I forgot about old Gordy wanting his share too! That can make a difference!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 4:58 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi,

Sorry to hijack this thread - am having a bike sent from US in two boxes. ($200). What shall I advise the seller to do to avoid this customs as much as possible?

Mark down as bike components (s/h) with value Of $50 each?

Thanks for your help,

Miles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 6:01 pm 
Retro Guru

The seller I am speaking to can send in one package for 65usd! Must wait 4-6 weeks though, so I guess it's by sea. The saving makes the VAT bearable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 7:58 pm 
Klein Guru / BOTM Winner

deelam wrote:
The seller I am speaking to can send in one package for 65usd! Must wait 4-6 weeks though, so I guess it's by sea. The saving makes the VAT bearable.

You can calculate the USPS shipping costs here if you know the rough weight of the package and will get all info on size limits etc there as well

http://ircalc.usps.gov/

Interesting to see that ground/sea freight to the UK has the same (large) size limit than air. To most of the remaining Europe sea freight must be much smaller in size and a bike frame would not fit into such a parcel.

Carsten