why so little love for the super v

hot chilli

Retro Guru
maybe im just of a slightly later generation than some on here..
from the point i had my first full sus bike i became a convert to full suspension.

the first frame i bought new was my super v with active80 rear end.
did have a proflex before that but that was second hand.

anyway i had the super v for maybe a year, year and a half.. and loved it.
they were light and very stiff frames.

so to now... well i have two super v's now, bought in the last 6 months, over the pond in the us they have been tweeking them for some time by fitting jekyll swingarms on them. with longer stroke shocks
i have gone down this route..

still working on getting mine right and im currently woring on front shock mount plates to give me some scope for playing round with head angle\bottom bracket hight.

are there many other super v owners on here? (im more talking second generation low pivot frames.)

The amount of work needed to get them to ride well might give you a clue...

There's a few on here, and they do still look good.

they ride as well as any other full sus of the same age..

i remember at the time (96\97) there being a big divide between the "simple" single pivot bikes and mulit link bikes.

with some saying one was best and some saying the other was best.
one thing i do remember was how non "flexi" the dale was against my proflex. the dale felt much more stable.

the reason i bought my hot chilli x-rage after the super v was because i liked the way the super v suspension worked.. the x-rage had a very simalar pivot point and shock layout.

it was either that or pay even bigger money for a Super V DH.
But the super v dh had no travel adjustments or head angle adjustments bar playing with the headshock to 1 1\8 adaptors

will try and get some pics up of the current build.

its a large super v mainframe. jeklyll swingarm. modern manitou 4way air-oil shock.
manitou X-vert Carbon tripple clamp forks.
hope disks front and rear.
wheels im not sure on yet as i have yet to find a 20mm bolt through front hub.. do have a cannondale coda one built into a wheel that would suit.

the rest im still working out..
thinking i may use the original xtr sfifters ive got fitted onto shifter pods so i can use them with the hope brakes.
but good old xt thumbies may be an option if i can find some at reasonable money.

I don't mind em but really only like the sv dh.
A few reasons people don't/didn't like them-

- their ugly/unique looks
- the fact they were very expensive for the level of spec they were built up with
- the headshock specific headtbe that never really worked with any other period forks
- despite being part of the volvo cannondale team, no one really raced them bar Missy in the odd dual slalom (talkin super v actives not the first gen super v btw)

Since getting hold of my first in 97 I've had 5 super v dh's in various forms over the years (selling one to a member on here in 08 - http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight= ) all have caused a few headaches but still loved em all.
Great frames, nicely made and I think only appreciated by people who have spent a lot of time on them.

Your build sounds cool, a bit modern/retro.........keep us posted with some pics ;)

Always liked Cannondales since my first ride on an MTB was on a 24" rear wheel Cannondale bike around '88/'89. Wanted but couldn't afford/justify the cost of a Super V when they first came out.
I now have, thanks to RetroBike, a Super V 1000SL that had the original cast rear arm and a Headshok fork.
I have upgraded it to a Jekyll CAAD4 rear arm, original cast arm had cracked, and a 100mm Titanium Lefty.

DSC00273.jpg

DSC00275.jpg

DSC00276.jpg

DSC00277.jpg

DSC00278.jpg

There are changes from the original components that I built it with in pics.
Brakes are M4s with Mini levers with 205mm/185mm discs.
Rear wheel changed from self-built Hope-hubbed to a WTB hubbed wheel.
Cranks changed from XT to Middleburn RS7s.
And proper boot on fork that's narrow at bottom to avoid being cut with bigger disc.

The barends with risers are for my personal comfort, couldn't give an eff if they look naff according to the cool people. :LOL:

Apologies if I've clogged up thread with loads of pics. :oops:

I love the Super V's! I had a Super V 700 Carbon which was fab, until i sold it as it was a smidge too small, But I miss it so much i'm seriously considering buying another Super V - no idea which model to go for though?!

True their frame design has been copied by £100 quid ripoffs from Argos but I think the Super V is a real head turner even today, which surely can't be bad for a near 20 year old design :D

i have a green mainframe that im using for my next build..

here is my "bits´n bobs" one i built to tinker with. rear shock was 10-15 mm too long.

not a great pic..
P1070764.jpg

one thing i like about the jelyll back end on a V mainframe is the way that most people at fitst glance think its a stock super v frame.

the next one i think im going to do in white.. with a black and white theme all over... can kee the mainframe green as its in poor condition paint wise.

Back