Frame splitting around seat post!

Purple Helmet

Retro Guru
Took delivery of my new winter project today complete with stuck seat post. I hack-sawed off the overtightened seat collar pin. then tried 'gently' loosening off the seat post and noticed the following...

main.php

Not sure how I get the seat post out with applying force, or if I can get the seat post out the frame will be repairable? Any ideas??

:cry:

Thanks!

It's hard to tell from that angle, but the top of the tube looks very thick, so my guess would be that the frame has a strengthening ring at the top, and that is what is splitting.

Have you tried heat yet?

Unless the shim has been ground to fit perfectly (look at the front of the seattube) and then painted the same colour as the frame then it's not!
I'd agree with the person who said it's a strengthening ring, does the tube thickness change just below the chainstay junction? It also looks like its cracked below the seatclamp?

If it were mine I would cut the bolt bosses off and use a normal replaceable seatclamp, assuming you can get one in the correct size.

to start I think it's penetrating oil, and some more and some more and let soak for a good while.

If use heat will depend on what post and tube is, if post expands more than tube then heat will make worse...........

i'd use the penetrating oil while work out what to do next.......just what I'd do mind you

If it is splitting, it is keeping a very constant distance from the outside diameter. Too perfect for a defect?

daugs":2i4khp4l said:
to start I think it's penetrating oil, and some more and some more and let soak for a good while.

If use heat will depend on what post and tube is, if post expands more than tube then heat will make worse...........

i'd use the penetrating oil while work out what to do next.......just what I'd do mind you

Heating it so it expands will crack any corrosion that's holding it in place, when cool it should be easier to remove.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

It is a steel frame with an alloy post. I did notice that the seat post clamp end looked a bit melted so I'm guessing someone has all ready tried the heat/cold method.

It does appear to be some kind of shim as the split seems to be the same width as it goes round.

I'll try the penetrating oil method first and if I don't get any luck, I'll try a more destructive method! :twisted:

Back