Weps, how a bout a bit of coincidence...

rody

BoTM Winner
Took a look at the lovely Grove Ti you won...turns out it is the brother to the frame I've got in my basement.

You're serial number....TI-018-7-93

And mine...TI-017-4-93

Seems your's is one build and three months away from mine :D

Right now mine is stripped down for a repaint and is eventually going to a friend (part of the raising cash thing :( ) .

As you are in Pa, we'll have to get together some time for a little retro gathering of our own.

cheers,

rody

now that has the makings of a seriosly good story. and i feel quite privleged to be a part of such good lineage. perhaps we can get them together for a photo before you ship yours off. how hard is that one going to be to part with? i know you are holding on to the tandem. and you really aren't that far away. hell, maye we could go visit bill sometime too and get him in on the reunion. he only lives about 10 miles away. :)

how many ti-frames do you think they built? i'm thinking only a few years worth at most. maybe 50 or so?? i'm on schedule to pick mine up this weekend. i told melvin i'm not going to get too worked up until i have it in hand and on the way home. :?

How many TI frames...I don't know. Bill use to keep track of every frame built with the customers info in a ratty old notebook that made it's way from table to table, often becoming the doodle pad for new ideas or the quick measurement. Quite a sight to see.

I will definately be making a trip to the State College area this summer. I'll keep you in mind when dates start to formalize.

This frame will not be going far...a good friend who I ride with once a week.

Can't wait to hear your impressions once you pick it up.

rody

Elev12k":3q12mmsp said:
You got it?! :D

Photo footage please! :D

picked it up saturday! as you suspected, the seller was not the owner or really even interested in bikes. he operates a store and ebays whatever people bring to him. he had done some research on the web about grove innovations and found out what he could before listing.

yes, with the wording and all the keywords, brands and odd photos, the ebay listing did appear somewhat sketchy. and of course the weight was not 12.5 pounds. he just stood the bike on a scale and that's what registered. turned out to be quite a nice guy though and once i found the place there was no trouble at all. i don't know if the listing turned some people off or if their was some uncertainty with others about the sale, but the whole time i felt i was taking a chance on this.

even when i got there and saw the bike the feeling was there. i'm not quite sure how to describe it, but when quickly looking over the bike i saw that it had new hubs and wheels and was kind of dissapointed they werent original. saw some bike shop sticker on the rim and figured they were just bought cheap to put on the bike before sale. then i saw the cassette was new too. looked to be titanium though so that sort of evened things out. also noticed the bike had been cleaned up pretty well before sale and figured if the owner was conscientious enough to do that, it was probably in ok shape mechanically and i wouldnt have to worry too much.

well, when i took a closer look at the wheels, i saw they where mavic 231s with hugi compact hubs. hmmm. not much chance of getting those things new from the lbs. as i began looking over the rest of the bike, it dawned on me that the wheels and cassette probably were not new. in fact, probably nothing on the bike was new. and it likely hadn't been cleaned up before sale either. because i was now seeing a thin layer of dust on everything. i was just confused because most of the parts were showing so little wear.

it's not quite fresh off the floor of a 1994 bike shop, but i'm definitely glad i took the chance with this. i had some pics last night and then decided they really didnt do justice. that thin layer of dust was still there. i'm going to clean it and then post pics!!

as for the ride and feel, that comes next. :cool:

That sounds very good. Yeah, make some nice shots ...but not too nice, the excitement is already getting too high overhere :mrgreen:

Back