Marin 10 character/digit frame number....

GeoffE

Retro Newbie
Hi,

My first post.....

I wonder if somebody can help me decode a Marin frame number?

I bought it through eb*y recently. It is brushed alloy with a 'triangulated' top & down-tube, and the previous owner has polished the top-tube thus stripping away the model name decal.
He planned to polish the whole frame, but circumstances changed.

The frame number is F409DSEnnn, and I think the "40" is the model number? But, what is the model name?

I am assuming:
F - Fairly built;
40 - Model?
9 - Year: 1999?
DS - Marin's month & day code;
E - Size: 20" c-to-c top-tube/bottom bracket;
nnn - Production number.

I would really like to know the model name, and hope somebody can help?

Thanks,
Geoff

Attachments

• Frame4.jpg
    Frame4.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,233
a bit new for me geoff but, 4 will be the model number if the older codes(pre '97) are anything to go by.

forth from the top is how they work, typically. so yours is in a healthy mid-range position, assuming the code tells that way.

any other info may yield a better response in the 98+ section a bit further down.

cheers mate.

Hi Marc,

Thanks for your reply. If the model number is "4" then I guess the frame would be an Eldridge Grade, but I thought these were Cromoly? I think the model coding may well have changed with the move from 9-digits to 10-digits?

I take your point about the frame being a bit young (apologies, perhaps I should post in the other forum - I may put a post there in a few days time).

Since this is my first thread, and I find myself in the "upto & including 1997" forum, perhaps I can placate my mistake by showing my '97 Marin Indian Fire Trail frame which I have been having fun building up. I'm afraid it is not for the purist, as none of the components were original specification.

Thanks again,
Geoff

Attachments

• Marin97IRS.jpg
    Marin97IRS.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 1,195
Back