How many is too many?

Pickle

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Having managed to sneak my road bike home and into the shed, on the basis its 'essential' for my turbo trainer, I have been informed by Mrs GT (that'll always remain her name ;) ) that 3 bikes is enough.

She says I have the RTS for Retro meets, Avalanche for normal riding and the Pennine for turbo training. And she's right.

Now, I can see her point, but always think you can never have enough. Theres always another bike out there you just have to have!

So, how many bikes do you all have and, like mine, do they each have a specific purpose?

currently i have a "mountain bike (lava dome)" a "fitness bike(Kona AA" and a "pub bike(dynatech)", though this isnt built yet. i still want more and i can always find ways and excuses for them.

5 mountain bikes, 1 recumbent, 1 1950's roadster, 1 folding bike and a 1970's Honda moped.

Mountain bikes do most of the duties be they Glentress rides bike, single speed, commuter, tourer, shopper.

Not a case of too many bikes just not enough room to store them !

Ideal world is one bike per cycling function and or mood of rider which equals lots.

Cheers

I think you could quite easily justify the following:

Retro steel/Ti rigid MTB
Retro steel/Ti hardtail
Retro SS
Retro FS
Retro Garage Queen - your choice
Retro Road
Retro Cross
Modern Hardtail
Modern XC FS
Modern DH FS
Modern Road
Modern SS
Modern Cross

when i got the AA i set two as my limit. then i got the dynatech as a breaker, became attached to it and will be rebuilding it.
oh dear.

It's when you have more 'virtual' bikes (ie ones in the post from or to other people, or in parts in boxes) than real ones then you know you have problems.

Standard rule is as long as you have one less bike than Jez you know you're fine (that covers most of us I reckon)

Its justifying the need for another bike that I have problems with.

You see, I'd really like a retro HT, but I already have a HT, ok not retro, so I dont need one, I just want one!

I'm going round in circles now..... :LOL:

Its justifying the need for another bike that I have problems with.

You're not really getting this whole Retro thing are you.......justification has got nothing to do with it!!!!

jango":1jwunf4k said:
You're not really getting this whole Retro thing are you.......justification has got nothing to do with it!!!!

Yep - follow Jango's rule and have one of each GT model from your favourite era :D

How many you want will always be n+1 where n is the current number you have. Don't consider need at all otherwise you could be convinced that a cross bike will do everything (and it pretty much will, but that's not really the point for us, is it?).

I thoroughly recommend yielding to temptation - it is far better to have owned and sold than never to have owned at all.

Back