Ugly modern bikes

ibbz

Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Karma King
Dyna-Tech Fan
Feedback
View
Went into Evans cycles today in Wimbledon for a browse.
This is of course my opinion but most modern MTB's are butt ugly. Futuristic looking, yes, but big huge ugly beasts with no grace. Function over form perhaps? Or have designers lost the plot?

The racing bikes look better but still not up to older standards .

I'm now more of a pure old Skool lover, any one else think the same about huge overweight modern eye sores?

The crap they are pushin' in the reg'lar stores sure is ugly!

Some incredibly beautiful bikes coming from the smaller builders though, as always.

Sure you might be able to traverse a glacier in some of em or rode backwards through the sahara but that doesn't detract from the fact they look like sh1t :LOL:

highlandsflyer":1o9klxfq said:
The crap they are pushin' in the reg'lar stores sure is ugly!

Some incredibly beautiful bikes coming from the smaller builders though, as always.

I agree, but these seem to be Ti or Steel, I reckon the graceful slimmer profiles are much nicer and obviously the love and care going into being hand built does make a difference. The ugliest bike was this huge fat cannon dale with a sort of mono fork, was it trying to mimic a motorbike?

It always amuses me when I see modern bikes on display stands with the back wheel elevated by about a foot so that the saddle is a higher than the bars and the top tube is near horizontal. Someone decided that this was necassary to make the bike look cool :LOL:

ibbz":3vkrqlbu said:
Sure you might be able to traverse a glacier in some of em or rode backwards through the sahara but that doesn't detract from the fact they look like sh1t :LOL:
Totally agree.

Yup, They look 'orrible!!

My 11yr old stepson is in need of a new mtb as he is outgrowing his current pseudo mtb. He wants something light and ..no suspension forks!! - My influence does rub off on him then ;)
You have a look around his school and every single mtb is a modern job.. all covered in stickers and ruddy great susp forks. Trying too hard..it's NOT a motorbike!

Its quite interesting because our budget is £100 and I'm looking at,generally speaking, pre 1999 18"models as susp wasn't so prolifically slapped on everything with 2 wheels before then and mostly steel frames. the componentry also stands a chance of not being cheap cack too..Retro logic wins the day. Maybe it's my bias towards 'what you know' but there's nothing I've seen so far that's modern that fits the criteria I describe above.
So my disdain for modern bikes continues..'til I actually ride one and be 'Wowed' by its prowess. Pig ugly looking things IMO

"If you live in the past, you'll get left behind"
Sorry to disagree but, modern jump bikes are dead sexy!;

2011jackal027.jpg

2011jackal005.jpg

When I'm fling thou the air a 20yr old piece of aluminum just won't do;

http://s174.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... rt=3&o=215

And when I want to go fast in the forest modern tech is where the action is;

SantaCruzBlurLTc019.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xlPxPgBvwY

I love my retros to!
Cheers.

I totally agree, and for the most part it looks like the attention to detail has also dropped as well.

It really is a shame when i think back to the bikes I was working on back in the 90's

Latest posts

Back