Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:21 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:11 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:08 am
Posts: 6851
Location: Nth Somerset, UK
suburbanreuben wrote:

Though it does appear that there's been a bit of a cock up at Chas's. Once realised though, did they speed things up a bit?


If this a question for me: No, not as far as I can see. I don't think they see it as a cock up, it just seems to be the way they work.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:29 am 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:19 pm
Posts: 7056
Location: KEEPING THEM SAFE FROM HARM, ANYWAY I CAN....!
NeilM wrote:
suburbanreuben wrote:

Though it does appear that there's been a bit of a cock up at Chas's. Once realised though, did they speed things up a bit?


If this a question for me: No, not as far as I can see. I don't think they see it as a cock up, it just seems to be the way they work.


I would contact colour tech directly i think if it were me, and try to get to the bottom of it.

Regards to the frame repair, mine was much longer, i didnt require paint, but i did appreciate the difficulties involved and what needed to be achieved.

and i have to say, when the work was returned to me, i was overwhelmed, they did go the extra mile, it was returned like brand new.
And i have to be honest what i was charged was a third of what i was expecting, and in all honesty i couldnt believe it, so much so i sent a case of red, to show my appreciation.

would i use them again, hell yeh.... 8)

I certainly wouldnt of put up with me for the wages that were earnt from it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:12 pm 
Ain't no party like an S Club party
Ain't no party like an S Club party
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 4:54 pm
Posts: 7133
Location: UK
beagle wrote:
I've become very patient in the last few years. As someone who works "in the industry", I've seen how ridiculously busy you can get and how the unexpected always crops up. Many people seem to be unable to grasp the idea that working on their bike isn't the only thing that busy frame builders/shops have to do, and that one person can only do what they can do - there are only so many hours in a day.

So anyway, I've got a custom frame in the works at the moment. It's taking a while, but what's the rush? I've got another bike. Just let him get on with it.




Not entirely sure what this has to do with the original post on this thread?

Are you suggesting that other people in other jobs cannot get "ridiculously busy," or that the 'unexpected' doesn't crop up for them?


Thank you also for not being too patronising - if you read the original post properly, it actually specifically highlights the presumed priority between new build and repair.

Although, as a previous post mentioned, perhaps as a paying customer one should assume their money grants them a place in the queue, not a shelf space for when the frame builder has a quiet period and can do some repairs.

I'm not suggesting there that's not how the work is allocated by the way, simply that I don't know either way.



And, finally, because your comment seems so off the ball here, would 5 years be OK to wait to "just let him get on with it."...?

The original questions on this thread were about how long people are prepared to wait for frame refinishing, not really after 'insights' from those "in the industry"...




Cheers,
BB.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:10 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 7:11 pm
Posts: 8479
Location: Fircombe.
BoyBurning wrote:
beagle wrote:
I've become very patient in the last few years. As someone who works "in the industry", I've seen how ridiculously busy you can get and how the unexpected always crops up. Many people seem to be unable to grasp the idea that working on their bike isn't the only thing that busy frame builders/shops have to do, and that one person can only do what they can do - there are only so many hours in a day.

So anyway, I've got a custom frame in the works at the moment. It's taking a while, but what's the rush? I've got another bike. Just let him get on with it.




Not entirely sure what this has to do with the original post on this thread?

Are you suggesting that other people in other jobs cannot get "ridiculously busy," or that the 'unexpected' doesn't crop up for them?


Thank you also for not being too patronising - if you read the original post properly, it actually specifically highlights the presumed priority between new build and repair.

Although, as a previous post mentioned, perhaps as a paying customer one should assume their money grants them a place in the queue, not a shelf space for when the frame builder has a quiet period and can do some repairs.

I'm not suggesting there that's not how the work is allocated by the way, simply that I don't know either way.



And, finally, because your comment seems so off the ball here, would 5 years be OK to wait to "just let him get on with it."...?

The original questions on this thread were about how long people are prepared to wait for frame refinishing, not really after 'insights' from those "in the industry"...




Cheers,
BB.


Touchy as well as impatient...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:21 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:30 pm
Posts: 12438
Location: Surrey
I'm not sure anyone is impatient. As someone has pointed out, unless it is being done a a favour, your place should be in the queue and when your time comes, your work should be done. Only at this stage, if there are issues should timescales increase, and it is simple customer service and plain common sense to keep the paying customer in the loop about delays and revised dates/times.

Sometimes posts on here from what I can only describe, or at least the way that they come across is 'fanboys'. Just because you were fortunate to be on the receiving end of a great job, doesn't mean that everyone else will be, nor does it mean that they should be chastised from raising such issues. On the one hand it is useful insight for the consumer, and on the other it may be the shot in the arm a business needs to pull their finger out and get back to winning ways.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:25 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:19 pm
Posts: 7056
Location: KEEPING THEM SAFE FROM HARM, ANYWAY I CAN....!
ishaw wrote:
I'm not sure anyone is impatient. As someone has pointed out, unless it is being done a a favour, your place should be in the queue and when your time comes, your work should be done. Only at this stage, if there are issues should timescales increase, and it is simple customer service and plain common sense to keep the paying customer in the loop about delays and revised dates/times.

Sometimes posts on here from what I can only describe, or at least the way that they come across is 'fanboys'. Just because you were fortunate to be on the receiving end of a great job, doesn't mean that everyone else will be, nor does it mean that they should be chastised from raising such issues. On the one hand it is useful insight for the consumer, and on the other it may be the shot in the arm a business needs to pull their finger out and get back to winning ways.


Unsure fanboy is the right term to use, just because someone is happy to sing the praises of a good job done.

And who has been Chastised...?

And a useful insight it is, but there are two sides to a coin, and in the same way it should be seen as ok to praise as well as citicise.

Not everybody had your well documented and unfortunate experience, and just sometimes it is nice to hear the good as well as the bad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:37 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:30 pm
Posts: 12438
Location: Surrey
No offence meant, and you are right, fanboy isn't the right word, I had been reading an article about apple consumers so the term was fresh in my mind.

My point was to try and say (badly it seems) that there are two sides to the coin, some good, some bad, though it does seem that whenever a negative comment is made about some tradesmen, their defence is leapt to despite the fact that whoever has posted had a legit issue.

Forums like these are a great place to share info and experiences, but views do get polarised and topics get off track easily and there is often no way back.

To summarise: a customer is paying for a service and should expect to know what the outcome will be and also how long, as if these don't suit they can go elsewhere. Customer service and communication are key, whether the job runs to time or not. Customers will more than likely have a good experience, though when this is not the case, both customers and companies should learn from it, or use the info to make informed decisions.

Ok, not that short :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:09 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:30 pm
Posts: 12438
Location: Surrey
ishaw wrote:
No offence meant, and you are right, fanboy isn't the right word, I had been reading an article about apple consumers so the term was fresh in my mind.

My point was to try and say (badly it seems) that there are two sides to the coin, some good, some bad, though it does seem that whenever a negative comment is made about some tradesmen, their defence is leapt to despite the fact that whoever has posted had a legit issue.

Forums like these are a great place to share info and experiences, but views do get polarised and topics get off track easily and there is often no way back.

To summarise: a customer is paying for a service and should expect to know what the outcome will be and also how long, as if these don't suit they can go elsewhere, rather than have their frame effectively held to ransom for as long as it takes. Customer service and communication are key, whether the job runs to time or not. Customers will more than likely have a good experience, though when this is not the case, both customers and companies should learn from it, or use the info to make informed decisions.

Another point of view is that as the op is 'waiting', when it gets to this stage it is too long a wait.

Ok, not that short :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:22 pm 
Ain't no party like an S Club party
Ain't no party like an S Club party
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 4:54 pm
Posts: 7133
Location: UK
suburbanreuben wrote:
Touchy as well as impatient...



Are you super-special?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:24 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:19 pm
Posts: 7056
Location: KEEPING THEM SAFE FROM HARM, ANYWAY I CAN....!
ishaw wrote:
No offence meant, and you are right, fanboy isn't the right word, I had been reading an article about apple consumers so the term was fresh in my mind.

My point was to try and say (badly it seems) that there are two sides to the coin, some good, some bad, though it does seem that whenever a negative comment is made about some tradesmen, their defence is leapt to despite the fact that whoever has posted had a legit issue.

Forums like these are a great place to share info and experiences, but views do get polarised and topics get off track easily and there is often no way back.

To summarise: a customer is paying for a service and should expect to know what the outcome will be and also how long, as if these don't suit they can go elsewhere. Customer service and communication are key, whether the job runs to time or not. Customers will more than likely have a good experience, though when this is not the case, both customers and companies should learn from it, or use the info to make informed decisions.

Ok, not that short :wink:


No offence taken at all, and i cant honestly say i disagree in anyway. I think consumer awareness is a good thing, as long as its balanced.

With regard to paintwork, i have honestly found that very few who specalise are rarely any different when it comes to delivery times, they all run over on a time frames for handing back completed work.

As a retailer, it is inefficient, especially when compared to many industries, but then the level of profit also isnt there either. Not that i excuse delays because of this, of course not, but unless people want to pay an increased price many of these small companies are just trying to make it cost effective.

This of course dosent excuse lack of communication either, it does rile me too, but then i can even forgive this at times because i find myself in the same boat with what i do and sometimes there just isnt enough hours in the day.

But with all this said and done, i have yet to have a frame returned to me that i wasnt absolutely chuffed to bits with when it has returned.

And whether you call it blind romance or stupidity, once you are sat there looking at the finished frame, the time you have had to wait disappears into insignificance.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group