Who has owned their Retrobike from new?

kaiser

Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
MacRetro Rider
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Have you still got one of your first mtb's? Do you still ride it? Faithful companion. Show us some pics and a bit its of story.

Marin Pine Mountain, bought new in 1990.

Marin2.jpg

Had this from new in 1996.

This was me out on it on Friday in the Cairngorms. The pal I was out with can't understand why I still use it.

ProFlex.jpg

Its never been a bike I've particularly looked after as such. Well - it has been looked after, but I've never really had it pristine: Its always been kept functional with whatever I've had lying about. Still going strong though, still used.

I've got another bike I've had since 1985 which has seen some action offroad and touring: Raleigh Maverick. Been all over Scotland on it touring in my youth. I'll need to get some pics of it.

Here's my first decent mountainbike...in my tiny room at University
scan0008-2.jpg

Still with me 27 1/2 years later:
IMG_7591.jpg

I'd been riding touringbikes off road for a few years and I'd had a really rough Diamondback of some sort for a short while when I bought my Overbury's Pioneer XC for £618 in February 1986 via Steve Devine at the Bristol shop.
Rode it at Man vs Horse 1986, French/Swiss Alps trip 1987, cracked frame replaced with a newer model by Overbury's in 1988 (which I hated), repaired by me 1990 and used on and off since.

This is still my best friend of a bike, despite dalliances with plenty of other bikes over the years, some more rewarding than others. It is always there, welcoming me back, brilliant to ride, light enough, reliable and undemanding, yet still gives me a smile like the 18yr old I was when I saved up my dole money for 8 months to buy it.

All the best,

I bought my Amp MB4 brand new in January '97. Back then it was the coolest thing I ever laid eyes on. I still feel that way about it now. I rode it a lot, raced it a little. I rebuilt the rear shock weekly and loved doing because it was like an F1 car; rebuild, race, repeat. For a guy who loves to tinker, Amps are awesome. It was my first floater and I was hooked!

ampb4033.jpg

ampb4031.jpg

This is it today. I still ride the hell out of it!
469A50B1-834C-4930-9B2C-C3A50DB04786-2179-000003E16C14719F.jpg

I bought this new in 96
010120062805.jpg

090120062810.jpg

Not used much, still in ther garage with it's original tyres and brake blocks.
It does get out a couple of times a yaer though.

I'll grant you it was "on-loan" to my brother for a decade, but as he didn't put 100 miles on it, I consider that storage! :) My 1994 Grove Innovations Ti.

img2046d.jpg

Pics later.....

But still got my Dave Yates. My first "proper-ish" MTB was a Carrera krakatoa which I bought round the time I graduated in 91.

91 was a bad year to graduate in terms of employment so I had a lot of time to go riding - and not a lot of money. So my record collection got thinned out gradually and the parts on the Carrera got better - up till I started teacher training at Manchester Poly and used my loan check to buy the Dave Yates frame (731 Designer Select in pearlscent silver) from Neil Waltons in Didsbury in early 93. Campag OR brakes, Middleburn RS1s, Look Moabs, XT (thumbies), Hope hubs on 231, Renthal bars, USE Ti seatpost... Pretty much the same stuff I still ride in its more updated versions....

Head/top-tube assembly came undone after a while and Dave replaced the main tubes with 531 Tandem tubes. Brought it with me when the ex and I moved to Denmark in late 94 where it got to race against Henrik Djernis, Michael Rasmussen and Lennie Kristensen, amongst others.....

Upgraded to Magura Tomacs, Pro Class forks, Middleburn RS3s, Hope Fatso/Ti-glides and Sachs Quarz round this time.....

Rode my last race on it in 2005... And decided to have it refurbished by Dave in 2007. Dave said the seatpost was "junk" and changed it - and it got repainted white. Hardly used it since the refurb - but it's still the only bike I really consider "mine" and would be the last to go in a forced clearout.

Others.... My Wilier and De Rosa are both owned from new. The Wilier was my road racing bike when I had a licence and the De Rosa was ridden the 110 miles to my wedding..... So big sense of affinity with those too. The others - even the Paces and the Carbon bike I've ridden up Ventoux, D´huez and Galibier - not so much.

Back