Raleigh mirage, montage and massif questions...

cmmolloy1

Devout Dirtbag
Good evening

Anyone good with Raleigh trivia?
I remember there was a purple one and a nice cool mint one but I don't know which is which. What was the range order, was the montage the best with the best group set?

Also what frame sizes did they come in?

All help gratefully received!

:LOL:

Mirage was highest in the range you mention ; 501 frame and 300 LX group. The mint one has to be the Montage from maybe a year or two earlier ; also 501 and ; Suntour/SR mix. These 2 were available in 21 and 23" ; maybe 19 as well but I never saw one. Massif was Raleigh's own hi-tensile and had similar parts to the Montage ; sizes were even ; so 18 20 and 22 I think.

I've found the purple one! It's a mirage with 300 group set
It doesn't give frame sizes unfortunately, any help anyone...?

My mate had a Montage in the same year as the purple Mirage (1991?). It was blue, a bit like the 1989 Saracen Tufftrax. My sister had a mint green Raleigh, think that was a Montage from a couple of years before.

Mirage was Reynolds main tubes and the Yukon was 501 throuout iirc. purple was mirage, yellow and red was the Yukon massif was plain awful.
All Raleigh mountain bikes of that vintage came in even sizes. 16, 18, 20, 22 inch frames
The montage was a cheaper component but same frame as the mirage
Most were available as male and ladies frames other than the higher end ones. My Yukon stayed standard for about 5 mins until I stuck a load of Deore stuff on it and I loved it. I've even got pics of it in action if your interested
They also did a Reynolds 500 main tube set Dawes and Raleigh used it but it wasn't really any better than hi ten just a Reynolds badge and a bit of cromo.
This is all from a very hazy memory when I used to work in a Raleigh shop so it may be incorrect

I remember the Montage, I am sure it was about 1988/1989. I thought it was around the £230/£240 mark at the time.

88-89 Maverick GT, Memphis, Montage, Mirage. Maverick and Memphis had ATT23 hi-ten frames with the Maverick having a low end mix, Memphis had SR/Suntour 3040 mix, Montage and Mirage had 501 maintubes frame, Montage had the same parts as the Memphis, Mirage got Exage Trail.

90 - Montage, Mirage. Moonrun all had the same frame with 501 maintubes but the groupsets varied. Montage Suntour XCT, Mirage 300LX, (very rare) Moonrun Suntour XCM.

Yukon came in around 91 with the same 501 frame and 200GS.

The K2 Series came in around 92

Carl.

In 1989 I had a montage direct from the factory floor my mate work there tjiink I got staff discount may of cost me around £150 remember figure being odd like 147.52 or something.

Thought it was all right till I had a go on my lecturers overbury's the was Xt'd the the hilt then thought mine was a piece of junk :cry:

Back