valuation of better/rare well used bikes?

weps

Devout Dirtbag
id like to hear what you guys think of bikes that were something special in their day, but that have been well used, or left outside, and just generally look battered. paint scratches, scrapes, and nicks. wear marks. etc. most of the interest seems to be in nos or near mint condition items. i think by their nature, better bikes have been handled well over time, but im sure there are some beaters. does anyone care about restoring the beaters? or do you just hold out for a better example?

what would you be willing to spend on an interesting steel bike in that condition? say something along the lines of a corporate branded e-stay model associated with a well known designer/editor and outfitted with most of the original xt.

:)

Very hard to say , some many factors to take into consideration .

A steel mantis with e stay went for £90 a few weeks back on ebay in the uk . That was frame only , nice paint , but the frame had been repaired at some stage .

Elev12k":29jbzd7j said:
Hmmm, something like a Nishiki by Richard Cunningham?

very astute of you. :)

it's this one. you know your stuff, what do you think? local bike auction. i'm going to the preview so i'll see if i can get real pics.

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 2,600
You want a price estimate for that bike as beater?

Overhere -in Holland- there are probably a few willing to spent amounts like 100 euros or even more, but it is more likely it goes for 50-60.

Still a nice bike though. Point is there are quite a lot and they are not really heavily sought after, hence buying one in not so good shape is not the easiest or cheapest way to go. Besides that those mass produced bikes also fear to competition of the FATs, Yetis and Mantis in the marketplace. Those are increasing in value, but still not unaffordable by a lot. When those prices increase, prices of mass bikes will increase in their slibstream a think.

Can you really get a bike like that for 50 euros .

Where ????

would not mind a nikishi .

Saw one for sale recently. It is disappeared now. Actually it was advertised fot quite a long time, but maybe it is sold now or the ad expired.

You maybe would like to have one? I would be willing to keep an eye out for you and notify you when I see one on the web.

ok..this an an auction by the local uni. they do it every spring for abandoned or recovered bikes. the last pic is of the floor space. that's about 1/3 of the bikes to sell. probably 200 total. the alien that is there is one of only four i'd consider bidding on. its also the only one ive personally seen and handled. they arent that common here. you can see the rust spots and paint chips. 19" frame. overall not in the best of shape but could be cleaned up with enough time and effort.

what im wondering in a general sense is how much of a differnce there is in value between a fair/poor condition bike and something very good to excellent. does that make any sense? i think aspects of this have already been addressed in other posts. it sounds as if this alien is not particulary desirable and the amount of money and effort needed for a restoration would be better spent on a bike in better condition to start with.

Attachments

• floor.jpg
    floor.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 2,584
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 2,582
  • close.jpg
    close.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 2,581

Latest posts

Back